~CHAPTER 19 ~ HEARTBEAT

Adelyn POV

Dinner went by in awkward silence. From time to time we would glance at each other and it would get more awkward again. Finally, when torture ended, Meave dragged me, literally dragged me with her outside the house to play with her. We played with her dolls, and I pretend to drink tea from a pink plastic cup alongside Mr.Teddybear and Princess Lily(Meave doll). After an hour of playing, pretending to drink, laughing, princess Meave finally dozes off in her dreamland, softly snoring. I picked her up and her head positioned herself on my shoulder. It felt soothing and relaxing holding a child.

As I turned on my feet to go inside, I noticed Mr. Alvaro looking at me and I stopped dead track. His hands were buried deep in his pockets and he wore an unyielding face. Was he here all the time I was playing with Meave? Why does it look like he was keeping an eye on me? Was he afraid I would do something to Meave? All those rhetorical questions are making me bewildered. I approached slowly and he abruptly takes Meave from me, earning a whine from her.

" It's okay I can put her to bed, just tell me wher- "

"I'll do it you've done too much already" He exclaimed, more like accusing me as if I did too much in a bad way and went inside carrying Meave.

I slowly make my way inside the house, thinking. What was he trying to say? I can't get my mind on it. Why does he hate me? I didn't do anything to him. I was so submerged in my thoughts that I bumped into someone.

" Careful Alai- Adelyn" concerned Aiden holding my shoulders and slightly panicked.

" what's wrong? "

" Am sorry I just.. arr. I feel like Mr. Alvaro despises me. I didn't even do anything. He never smiles at me, neither try constructing a proper sentence to me. Did I do something I am unaware of? "

" No. He's just um.. he's going through a lot, just give him some time." He reassured me smilingly which I slightly copied. Suddenly a low, mysterious dark and hoarse voice behind me spoke, sending multiple shivers running down my spine. Why does he always have this effect on me?

" I think it's time for Miss March to reside her domicile."

Aiden signed and hugged me really tight and whispered " good night " I bid my goodbyes to everyone, even the maids looked at me shockingly. I don't know why, but since my arrival here, everyone is looking at me, strangely. I notice several times maids peeking their heads to see me when I was in the kitchen or when I was playing with Meave. Everything here is built like a fortress and arise a sense of suspicion.

***

Silence.

Only silence.

Arrrrr! I am bored.

How can you be bored? You are in my head. I am the one who's suppose to complain.

I am. Don't ask.

We are both in the car looking at what's in front of us, waiting for the green light to pop brightly and let us go. My traitor eyes, despite my withstand, peek at him. His focus eyes are dark green, jaw clenched, hands firmly on the wheel, his expression is readable. Selene projects her moon rays, illuminating the obscurity and reflecting on the sphere of Valcan's.

As we move forward, I absentmindedly kept looking at him. My eyes are slowly trailing down his strong arms and I slightly frown while tilting my head. How am I now noticing this? His white sleeves are rolled up to his elbow revealing dark ink. An engraving of a Russian word on a sword tracing slightly down on his wrist.