Chapter 26

Two days later

Akash walked inside the cruise. He was still contemplating regarding taking this trip. Actually it was not a trip. It was a party. An old friend of his from college days, was celebrating his wedding anniversary and throwing a party in the cruise. Meeting with his friend was coincidental.

He was just strolling around the mall, while his family was busy in their shopping for the wedding, when he met his old college friend, Ashish. Small talk started. And then one thing led to another, he was invited to the party and now he was here. But he was still not sure whether he should go to this party.

He wasn't much comfortable. He knew all his other friends would also be invited. And all would be here with their partners. And it always made him uncomfortable. Whenever he saw his friends and colleagues happy with their wife and family, it always left a bitter taste inside him.

The longing and yearning for Payal only increased. And her absence beside him always hurt him. He felt his heart breaking all over again and making it difficult for him to even breath. None ever understood his state and he blamed nobody but himself. It was all his fault. Only his fault. All others were only contributing factors. The mistake was his. No he committed a sin.

One. No. He committed many sins. And everything was his own faults and incapability. He was wrong from the start, a coward, a fool, a person without a voice or stand. He just went with the flow. What everyone said, he did. He never had a opinion or a stand of his own.

He was always a puppet. A puppet whose strings were in the hands of his family, better to say his mother. Always believing whatever she said, always doing whatever she wants, always following her instructions to the T. He ruined everything in his blind love and devotion to her and his sister.

There was only one person who loved him for what he is. Payal. All others only used him for their benefits. Including his mother. But Payal. She loved him. Loved him like noone else did. But he took her for granted, broke her, ruined their relationship and forced her out of his life.

All for what and whom. His mother? His sister? Well guess what. Turned out they didn't care. They didn't care what happened to him. All they wanted was their whims and fancies to be fulfilled. His mother wanted a rich, sophisticated daughter in law to show off to her kitty party friends.

And his sister... Well she is another case altogether. He doesn't want to go there.

Last three years, all he did was wallow in guilt. But he knew it wasn't enough. All he wanted was Payal to come back and give him some punishment. He is ready to take any punishment. Anything to reduce his guilt somewhat. He knew forgiveness is something he doesn't deserve. He doesn't even have the courage to ask Payal for forgiveness. That much big is his sins. All he wants is punishment.

After Payal left, he felt like a part of him was lost. He felt dead from inside. But then nobody cared. And for the first time, he realized how truly lonely he was. He knew his brother might also have felt similarly. But then his brother was always used to that loneliness. In fact he preferred that.

His brother went back to his old self and shut everyone out. He didn't talked to anyone nor shared his pain with anyone. And he, for the first time, realised how truly alone he was. Just like his brother. All that his family cared was about his sister.

They didn't cared what happened to him or his brother. His brother closed everyone out, not sharing anything with anyone. But he just couldn't do it. He tried to seek out help. And the first person to come to his mind was his mother. But then the reality slapped on his face. His mother didn't cared about what he lost.

In fact she was happy. She was celebrating. After all the Gupta sisters were out of their lives. She could finally bring her desired rich, sophisticated daughter in law. He felt disgusted. Disgusted of himself. Disgusted of his own mother.