Chapter 16

A Day Later.

The smell of the once peaceful forest has been tainted by the smell of the dead.

Once was thriving with peaceful life is now being terrorized by these horrors.

Y/N's POV.

I was out in the forest looking for some wood to add to the fire. Me and Clem decided to settle down for tonight before heading back out and towards the ranch.

I only needed two more logs, I came across one but I then heard a walker growl behind me.

Y/N: Shit.

I picked up the log and quickly turned around and got into a defensive stance.

Y/N: Fucker.

The walker kept making its way towards me. Once it got close enough, I swung the log at it, knocking it back.

I then did a jumping hit, knocking it down to the ground. I then placed a foot on its neck, stopping it from trying to bite me.

I then finished it off with a good stomp to the head, splattering its brains everywhere.

Y/N: Deadhead should have left me alone.

I picked up the logs and started making my way back to the fire.

I made it back to the little camp we were set up at, Clementine was there maintaining the small fire she started when I started to look for wood.

Clementine: Hey, Y/N. Those would work great.

I dropped all of the logs near the campfire and sat on the ground next time Clem.

I see that she is thinking about something judging from the expression on her face.

Y/N: You okay?

Clementine: Huh? Oh uh, yeah. I'm fine.

We stare into each other's eyes. I don't know why but I just couldn't not stare at hers as she stares back.

I then decided to look away and stand up to which she frowns.

Y/N: I'm gonna have a little recon of the area, make sure we're safe. Stay here, Alright?

Clementine: So, you're just gonna keep all of the fun to yourself.

Y/N: Just a precaution.

Clementine: Fine.

She then lies down in her sleeping bag I gave her.

Clementine: Good night, Y/N.

Y/N: Good night, Clem.

She then closes her eyes as I start walking around our little camp, making sure no lurkers get the jump on us.

I don't know why, but I seem to call walkers that creep up on us lurkers now. Heard that from an old friend in the forest before Prescott.

Once I walked a good three laps around our camp, I came back to the camp to see Clem still fast asleep and the flames high.

I decided to sit down on the log next to where Clem was sleeping and just kept my guard up.

A few minutes later, I hear shuffling in the bushes nearby. I got up and hovered my hand over my gun in my holster and decided to investigate the sound.

As I kept creeping closer, the shuffling starts to die down. Once I got close enough, it stopped.

I took out my gun and aimed it at the bushes.

Y/N: You can come out now.

No response.

Y/N: I won't kill you unless I have to, now get outta there.

Still no response.

Y/N: Fuck it.

I held my gun in one hand and use my free one to move the bushes out of the way.

I was shocked to see nothing.

Y/N: What the fuck?

I then heard a twig snap behind me.

I then quickly ducked and swept their feet off the ground with my leg and aimed my gun at the person behind me.

It was a teenage girl my age.

Y/N: The fuck do you want? What's with the sneaking and creeping around us?

The ruckus must have woken up Clem as she starts to get up from her sleeping bag and walk over to me still yawning.

Clementine: What's going on?

Y/N: Caught this bitch sneaking into our camp, must have been trying to steal our shit.

Girl: Please don't hurt me. I'm just hungry. I won't bother any of you ever again if you let me go.

Y/N: Hungry my ass, you have a group? They surrounding us now?

Clementine: Answer him, or I'll do worse than what he's about to do.

Girl: N-no, I don't.

Y/N: Girl our age, all alone? I don't think so.

Clementine: Tell the truth and we might let you live.

Girl: Okay, just don't hurt me.

Me and Clem nod.

Girl: I got separated from my group when a horde of walkers attacked our camp. The guy protecting me got eaten, I ran away after that. That's when I found your camp, I thought you were asleep, that's why I tried to steal something and tried to kill you.

Y/N: Honesty of strangers, haven't heard that in awhile.

Clementine: Lower your gun, Y/N. She might be telling the truth.

Y/N: Tie her up for now. I'll watch over her tonight.

Clementine: Y/N, you haven't slept for 2 days.

Y/N: I can handle it.

Clementine: But Y/N-

Y/N: I SAID I CAN HANDLE IT!

Both Clementine and the girl were surprised by my sudden outburst.

I then realized what I just did and looked away.

Y/N: Shit, sorry.

Clementine places a hand on my shoulder.

Y/N: I'm sorry about that.

Clementine: It's alright. Get some sleep, okay? I'll look after her for now.

I nod as I holster my gun

Y/N: Didn't quite catch your name.

Girl: Name's Vanessa.

I get inside my sleeping bag.

I look up to see Clem tying Vanessa up to a tree then sat down on a stump.

After a few minutes, I fell asleep.