Chapter one

"How much?"

"Just $35." I state as I watch her take out two twenties and tell me to keep the change. I love it when clients tip, shows me they know my worth around here. Doing nails was a simple side hustle for me at first, something to help me earn a little money while I'm in school, but it has slowly turned into something I loved to do.

My phone pings with a notification from my cousin.

"Lynnnn when are you coming to the park? It's getting crowded so we need to start passing out the business cards." Shit, shit, shit! I forgot I had them on me and my appointment went way over time.

"About to throw on something rn, be down there in 20." I locked up my shop and walked over to the main house. The moment I got into my room, I pulled out a yellow tube dress and a jean half cut jacket and brown sandals. After pinning up half of my burgundy dreads and styling my edges, knowing this Georgia heat was going to make them curl back up anyways, I throw on my clothes and grab my wallet and business cards before heading to the front.

"Be back before it get dark!" My mom exclaims to me as I grab the keys to the truck and head out the door. It's actually pretty funny, a girl 5'3 whipping this Ram 1500 like a hellcat. The truck was the first thing I ever learned to truly drive.

"I will, see ya!" I crank up the car and let it run for a few as I hook up my Bluetooth. Ugh, f*cling hate the summer honestly. On top of the heat, sticky thighs and increased loss of fluids, I'm ALWAYS feeling uncomfortable in what I'm wearing and honestly in my skin. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty girl. No, matter fact I'm fine as hell, but man does a girl have those days where that little pudge feels humongous and all you want to do is where baggy clothes and hope no one is watching.

"And imma, big flexHER, rich dresser, I just blew your rent on some monte Clair sweatshirts." I rap as I roll down my windows, speeding off to the park. It was the annual softball tournament and every year small businesses and such come out and sell things, promoting their works, etc. This is going to be my first year promoting my business and I'm nervous as hell about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm killer with the nails but once I leave my nail room I'm shy old me all over again and I can't stand it.

"And they better be ready." I whisper to myself before honking my horn. My cousins, Kayla, Deonna and Alissa all coming rushing out of the house and hopped into the truck. "Damn, y'all showl did dress up." I state as I notice their...very fleshy outfits. Unlike me they liked the summer heat.

"I heard them drug dealers was outside, know I had to put that shit on. Besides, they attention brings business. Don't you do manis? Aight then!" Kayla explains as she fastens her seatbelt. I just shake my head giggling before pulling off to the park.

We make it out there and the place is packed out, no surprise there. After finding a spot to park, we hopped out and split the business cards before making our way through the crowds handing them out to passing ladies and gents. After discussing the details of my business with a few people, I meet up with Kayla at a tent some of our family members had set up for a break.

"This sun is draining, I'm beat already." I state as I bury my head in my palms.

"Well don't speak too soon, I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but it's three fine mofos making their way into the area!" Kayla exclaims excitedly before hopping up and straightening her clothes. "I'm gonna go give my last few cards."

"Girl I know you are not about to waste my cards on men that don't even look like they stay here!" I exclaimed, before turning to take a peek at what had her so excited. Man when I tell y'all I saw the finest dude to ever step foot around was heading in our direction...I couldn't believe my eyes.