The Dawn of Divergent. chapter 3. not human

The girl looks at me "Wow. You should go show Jeanine. She's been pulling her perfectly styled hair out over this exact problem for weeks." I think about it, not really wanting to show her, many of the other members are gathering around looking at my work. I had to get away.  "uh. Yeah. Sure. Where is she?" She points "the huge glass office at the end of the hallway,  the one with lots of windows" then she and the others walk away not saying any more.   I nod "thanks." Then I grab my work and head that way, doing telpathic with  Dawn "I've got a problem I did really too clever of an equation and now I have to meet up with jennie the person we had met in the beginning. This doesn't look good."  I stand in front of the doorway, then knock on the door quietly.

      Jeanines voice calls from inside stern and powerful sounding "come in" I shyly walk in not sure what to say "um hi. The others wanted me to show you something it's not really a big deal but they think it is. So here it is."  I hold up the paper. She looks at me "You came to my office for a reason, now out with it. Don't just stand there like an idiot." I was surprised and intimidated by her at the same time rushing slightly to hand her the paper "Here. It's the equation you've been working on. I finished it." She raises an eye brow at me "You finished it? A teenage girl just out of initiation? I'm shocked." She eyes me suspiciously "There's something else at work here." I answer "I'm just really smart miss."  I stare back at her trying not to be intimidated by her. She continues "Smarter than the one who got the highest intelligence score in thirty years? I doubt it." Then she gives an  inspired expression "Do you mind submitting to some basic intelligence scans?" She asks.

        "Um.."  I thought about it hearing the word scans mixed with the word intelligence. It didn't sound good if she found out I wasn't human..I saw she was staring at me waiting for an answer. I had to make one. I promptly said "uh sure!" then mentally slapping myself for it. Not good. Shouldn't of said that this isn't good, I slightly slip into telpathic as I think those things. I hear Dawn telpathicly "said what now?" I hear Dawn and realized that I said it in telpathic, I answer back as I'm waiting for jennie to reply to my nervousness "uh I may of agreed to do something that could put me in danger. Man. Really shouldn't of said yes. To an intelligence scan. She's going to scan me!! Dang it me and my nervousness."  I end the telpathic as jennie starts talking again. The motions me over to a chair and I sit down  without hesitation not wanting to look suspicious now liking it she answers "this won't hurt much. Stay still" she  slips a metal helmet on my head and turns on a switch. I flinch a little but hide it. Feeling the helmet on my head.

Suddenly I hear Dawns voice in my head and outside it "is she scanning you now?" She asks.

Jeanine stops the scan "What was that? Because it wasn't your voice."

          I quickly made up a excuse "uh. I was thinking of my sisters voice. Sorry for the confusion."  I tensed myself not liking the whole situation "uh maybe..." I catch myself if I back off she would be suspicious "uh you sure it won't hurt?" I say. seeing myself shaking slightly, willing me to stop shaking and hoping she can't read my thoughts.    Jeanine walks around me looking at the monitors  "If I'm not mistaken, that was a telepathic signal. No human has that ability."

"Uh yeah.. It was. And... ...most dont."  I don't meet her gaze looking at the back wall to try to calm down, this isn't good. This isn't good, I say in my mind holding my breath. Jeanine replies "Most? Don't waste my time. No human has telepathic abilities because the human brain cannot send or receive signals. Obvious conclusion... you're not human. Are you."

       I stare at her trying to answer but don't know if i can "no... I'm not."  I am shakey shes intimidating me. I can't let her do that but I can stop myself. Dawn talks again telpathic in my head "Don't just tell her. Make her suffer a bit first."

Jeanine still looks at me "what are you then?" i ignore her question "you can hear the telpathic can't you?"  "Dawn... " I mumble wishing she didn't do telpathic at this moment. Jeanine looks at me "You're a Time Lord. I'm familiar with your kind." i reply back "You are?..."  im scared by how she knows. Still shaking "....I....am. how...do you..?" Jeanine answers with a smart tone "Because I am one, obviously. Did it really take you this long to find out?" I continue "But. You're... you're one." I stare at her confused by what a timelord is doing here  "how? Who are you? Why are you here?"  im still shakey but I've managed to calm down a little.

      She answers "You may not recognize me. I was in quite a different form last time we met. I call myself the Rani."