F o u r t y S i x

Merry Christmas Eve 💜
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Christmas Eve, the night of Seokjin's party. Jungkook found himself standing outside of Taehyung's apartment door, holding two gift bags in his hand. He knocked on the door and patiently waited for Taehyung to answer.

Despite how much his body was screaming at him to run and leave Taehyung, his heart wanted to stay. Jungkook found some time the day after he went shopping for Jimin's Secret Santa gift to buy a gift for Taehyung.

The doorknob of the apartment turned before the door opened, revealing Taehyung. Jungkook offered a small smile as Taehyung stared at him in shock.

"Jungkook? What are you doing here?" Taehyung asked confused.

Jungkook held up a gift bag as he brought it close to Taehyung. His ex-boyfriend looked at the bag confused before taking it. 

"What is this?" Taehyung asked.

"It's a gift for you," replied Jungkook.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you buy me a gift?" Taehyung asked, not bothering to look at what was inside just yet.

"I was grateful for your help," said Jungkook.

Taehyung nodded as he stepped aside. "Do you want to come in?"

Jungkook didn't hesitate to walk past Taehyung and step inside his apartment. Taehyung closed the door behind them as he followed Jungkook who took a seat on his couch.

"Do you not have any plans for Christmas?" Asked Jungkook as Taehyung took the seat beside him since he only had one couch.

"No, not really," answered Taehyung truthfully.

Jungkook pursed his lips as he glanced at the clock on Taehyung's wall. It wouldn't hurt to spend a little bit of time with him.

"Well, I'm here now. Is there anything you have in mind?" Jungkook asked.

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. "Don't you have like a Secret Santa party to go to?"

Jungkook nodded. "I do, but I still have time."

"Jungkook, why are you really here?" Taehyung asked.

"I told you, I was grateful for your help that I decided to get you a gift."

"Jungkook," said Taehyung as he moved closer to his ex. "I hurt you, we ended our relationship on bad terms. I told you that I didn't love you and yet you're here with me...I don't believe that's the real reason."

Jungkook lowered his head as he stared at his lap, not having the courage to look into Taehyung's eyes for what he was about to say. "I miss you, Taehyung. Every time I was with my boyfriend I kept thinking about you. I bought you a gift because I was grateful, but also because I wanted to end things with you on good terms. I want to be able to move on from you and stop thinking about you when I love someone else."

Jungkook felt his chin being lifted by Taehyung's hand until they were making eye contact again. Then, Taehyung's hand moved to rest on Jungkook's cheek. "Do you know that I miss you too?"

"What?"

Taehyung slowly brought his face closer to Jungkook's as he spoke. "After I broke up with you, the person that I cheated on you with ended things with me. I've felt lonely since and had time to reflect on my actions and feelings. I realize that I still love you, Jungkook."

Jungkook closed his eyes as he felt a tear roll down his cheek. "Hey don't cry," said Taehyung wiping away the tear. "Open your eyes again."

Jungkook slowly opened his eyes only to find Taehyung's face closer to his than it was before. Taehyung's gaze flickered to his ex's lips as he neared them, but before he could kiss him, Jungkook placed a hand on Taehyung's lips to stop him.

"You can't kiss me anymore," whispered Jungkook as he felt another tear escape his eye and roll down his cheek. "I have a boyfriend."

Taehyung gently removed Jungkook's hand away from his lips. "But you came to me because you still love me. You said you missed me and couldn't stop thinking about me while with your boyfriend."

"Taehyung, I really did love you," said Jungkook as his gaze flickered to Taehyung's lips before flickering back to his eyes. "But I can't kiss you and I can't love you anymore. That's why I'm here, I found someone else to love and someone who loves me back. I want to end things on good terms so that I can move on from you and give my boyfriend all my love instead of part of it."

Taehyung nodded as he dropped his hand from Jungkook's cheek. "You deserve someone better than me anyway."

"Open the gift," said Jungkook. "It'll help you move on as well."

Taehyung opened the gift bag and found a picture frame inside. His and Jungkook's faces in the picture were smiling back at him. "This was the first picture we took as friends."

Jungkook nodded. "I hope that with this picture, you can love me as a friend instead."

"You want to be friends?" Taehyung asked.

Jungkook nodded his head. "I think we were better off as friends than boyfriends."

Taehyung offered a sad smile. "Jungkook, I don't think we can be friends."

"Why not?"

"I realized that I still love you and you still have feelings for me. Friends don't love each other like that and you have a boyfriend. When we dated, I hurt you and all you did was love me, so instead, I'll keep this as a memory of a guy who made me happy at some point," Taehyung said as he went back to staring at the picture.

Jungkook pursed his lips as he stared at Taehyung. He knew Taehyung was right and maybe it was better than they didn't go back to being friends either. "So, we're just two people who dated then?"

Taehyung nodded, lifting his gaze to look at Jungkook again with sad eyes. "Yeah, I suppose so."

The sentence caused both exes to feel pain inside, but neither of them chose to acknowledge it.

"Okay," said Jungkook bringing his face closer to Taehyung's again. Despite how badly he wanted to kiss Taehyung and feel his lips one last time, he pressed a kiss on Taehyung's forehead instead before standing up. "I have to go now. I have a Secret Santa party to attend," he said as he grabbed the other gift bag that contained his boyfriend's gift.

Taehyung stared at the bag for a few moments, knowing whose gift it was before breaking his gaze and standing up as well. He walked Jungkook to the door where they stood awkwardly, unsure of how to say goodbye.

Neither of them were sure if they should say something along the lines of goodbye for now or goodbye forever.

Jungkook wondered if they were even going to acknowledge each other if they saw each other once again.

"Have a nice time at the party," said Taehyung, finally figuring out what to say.

Jungkook offered a small smile. "Merry Christmas, Taehyung."

With that, Jungkook turned away and left Taehyung's apartment, heading to Seokjin's house where his boyfriend, the person he was supposed to love, was waiting for him.