Chapter 12

Grabbing a tissue, I blow my nose for what feels like the hundredth time that morning before I pack my backpack to head to campus to take my exam. I throw on some leggings and a shirt that I pair with a cardigan and boots before grabbing my coat and walking out the door. 

I don't plug my headphones in this time. The breeze is blowing and I shove my hands in the pockets of my coat to try and regain some warmth. Looking up to the sky I see that it is littered with grey clouds that are ready to either bring rain or snow. 

 A knot of anxiety forms in my stomach as I near the doors to my exam, knowing that I was way too distracted yesterday to have properly studied. I take a deep breath and eventually push open the doors and head to my exam. Hoping that what I studied yesterday was enough.

Two hours later I walk out of the exam room, not quite sure of what just happened. My mind feeling as cloudy as the sky above, muddled with the thoughts of 19th century authors and Harry. I pull my phone from my pocket and re read Harry's text. I also notice that I also have two new texts from Ezra. 

I'll read them later

You can't avoid him forever. 

Well I can try.

My keypad pops up as I click on Harry's message from the night before and I start typing my response. The wind blows my curls around my face and my fingers linger over the keyboard, waiting for words to write.

Hi Harry ! I honestly could not tell you how I did on that exam because after walking out of the doors I don't remember a single question that was asked. I hope your flight home was smooth, hows life in Washington?? Any better than here in Boston? Also, thanks for the good luck text. 

Before I can overthink the text I hit send and watch the blue bar fly across my screen and start walking back home to quickly grab some lunch before my next class. Halfway back to my apartment I feel my phone vibrate in the pocket of my coat and I let out a huff, expecting the text to be from Ezra, but butterflies soon swarm my stomach when the contact name Harry pops up. 

The flight back was alright, a bit bumpy here and there but we made it. I bet you did good on your exam, you should've had scrambled eggs or whatever other crazy ways you make your eggs to ensure that you would do good on it. I booked a show tonight to play for some big record label companies so I'm quite nervous but I'm hoping it goes alright. Washington is rainy, and I suppose Boston is the same but I'd rather be in the Boston rain with you then in the Washington rain by myself.

A smile overcomes my face for what seems like the first time in days after reading the last line of his text. 

Best of luck tonight, I really doubt that you'll walk out of that performance without them all wanting you to sign with them, if they do they're all idiots. Please let me know how it goes. :) 

I keep my phone in my hand this time as I continue walking, anxious for a response. But it doesn't vibrate again. I round the corner to my apartment and slowly walk up the steps. Walking inside, I set my stuff down and prepare a quick lunch before grabbing the materials I need for my classes in the afternoon. 

The rest of the day passes by quickly. I do everything to try and focus while in class and not have my mind wonder back to last night and what happened between Ezra and I, but it seems to be replaying in my mind like a movie reel stuck playing the same scene. 

When I get home from my final class its almost a quarter to seven and when I enter my apartment I find a sticky note from Isabella letting me know that she's staying the night at Chris' place. Great. 

I walk to my room and toss my backpack and coat onto the ground before falling backwards onto my bed. My curls sprawl around my head and I pull my phone from my pocket, the screen illuminates and my eyes take in the picture on my lock screen of me and Isabella smiling, but my face does not mirror mine in the picture when I realize I have no new messages. Deciding that I need to respond to Ezra sooner than later I read his messages. 

Hey Evelyn, I'm sorry for just unloading everything last night, I know the timing wasn't the best considering that you had a test this morning but I hope it went well. 

Hey Evelyn, it's me again, I could stop by and bring dinner over tonight after classes and we could talk if you'd like, no worries if you need more time. I'll be here. 

I sigh reading the messages and run a hand through my hair. What do I do now?  What if Harry is just being friendly and doesn't see this as anything more than a friendship and I'm wasting my time with a perfectly good guy. He wouldn't have kissed you, you idiot if he just wanted to be friends. 

Rolling over I burry my face in my pillow, wanting to scream. My phone vibrates next to me and I throw my arm out, blindly reaching for my phone. Once I feel it in my hand I look up and read the message. 

This might be dumb but I need your opinion on what to wear tonight, I've never had to dress up for something like this. Harry quickly sends a photo of himself after the message. He's dressed in a white button up with white ruffles lining his neck and wrists which he's paired with black trousers and he looks... breath taking. 

You look amazing Harry, I think that's the perfect look for your performance.

Feeling mentally drained I start getting ready for bed early. Putting on pajamas, I turn on my TV and queue up Netflix. I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face before crawling under the covers of my bed. 

Searching for something to watch I eventually decide on a new period drama show. After about two hours of waiting to find out if the main character will ever be exposed for what she did in the gardens without a chaperone, I feel my eyes start to get heavy. 

I doze off into a deep sleep but am awaken when I hear a vibrating noise coming from my nightstand. Squinting, I try and make out the time glowing from my alarm clock - 3am. 

Worried about who could be calling me this time I quickly reach for my phone hoping that Isabella or my family are okay and that they aren't calling because of an emergency. 

My breath hitches when I read the name Harry instead.