How the Grinch Stole Christmas Part 19

Chapter 19:

Cindy Lou walks over towards the nearest garbage chute and makes the ride down the dump with the laughter of joy. She rolls down into a landing within the garage before calling out, "Mr. Grinch? Ms. Black?" On top of Mount Crumpit lays a sizeable red bag of Christmas stuff.

"Now for the final note in my symphony of downright nasty not-niceness!" the Grinch smirks, overly joyed. "The crescendo of my odious opus!" Mercy Grace's father pushes the sleigh with all of his might for the sleigh to go over the mountain. "The wailing and the gnashing of teeth," he continues. "The bellowing of the bitterly bummed out! It'll be like music to my ears!" he struggles to push the sleigh off.

Suddenly, a sound catches the small family's attention.

"Then the Grinch and the Lady in Black heard a sound rising over the snow. It started low; then it started to grow. But the sound wasn't sad. Why this sounded merry, but it was merry. Very. Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small, were singing without any presents at all. They hadn't stopped Christmas from coming. It came."

Mercy Grace looks down with a surprised look while her father glares down, taking off his hat.

He jumps down to another platform on the mountain, continuing his confusion and anger. "Somehow or other, it came just the same!" The Grinch growls while Max and Mercy Grace follow him down.

"Mr. Grinch? Ms. Black?" Cindy Lou asked, calling for them and walking over around the sleigh.

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling."

"How could it be so?" the Grinch turns to his daughter and dog. "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags!"

"And he puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before."

"Maybe Christmas," the Grinch realizes.

"He thought."

"Doesn't come from a store.....Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more," he smiles softly before feeling his heart pump hard, hurting him.

"Daddy!" Mercy Grace calls out, scared when he goes backward, holding his heart.

He let out screams from the pain in his heart and arm, making his daughter froze in the snow, not knowing what to do.

"Mercy Grace! Max! Help me!" The Grinch calls out to them, in pain. "I'm feeling!"

"What?" she asked, confused, kneeling down on her knees.

"And what happened then, well, in Whoville they say, that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

The Grinch sits upright and begins to cry. Something her daughter has never seen before. "What's happening to me?" he asked his daughter. The Grinch looks up to see the sunrise, brighter than usual. "I'm all toasty inside. And I'm leaking," he notices his tears. "Oh, Mercy Grace, Max," he turns to his family. "I have always loved you both!" he spreads out his arms for a hug.

A huge smile appears on Mercy Grace's face when she sees that. Max and her attack the Grinch down on the snowy ground where she hugs him tightly, and Max gives him kisses.

"Alright, that's enough," he says after a while. "Knock it off. Beat it!" he's serious about it. "One step at a time, you two," he tells the smiling family.

The sleigh moves a little, catching their attention.

"Oh no, Daddy. The sleigh!" Mercy Grace tells him, looking up at the sleigh.

"The presents. They'll be destroyed! And I care! What is the deal?" The Grinch is conflicted with himself, but he realizes his daughter and dog are already their way where the sleigh is located. "Wait!" he calls out, running up there.

"What are we going to do?! What are we going to do?!" Mercy Grace mumbles while following her father, and he calls out, "No!"

He jumps to get closer to the handles of the sleigh but fails. He crawls and pulls the sleigh back.

Mercy Grace pulls him back when he gets into a better position. Her hands are around his waist as she helps him get everything back.

"Oh, well," the Grinch kinda accepts it. "It's just toys, right?"

She nods her head sadly, agreeing with him.

"Hi, Mr. Grinch. Hi, Ms. Black."

They look surprised by the sound but are shocked to see Cindy Lou on top of the bag!

"Cindy Lou!" Mercy Grace yells out, terrified. "What are you doing up there?!"

"I came to see you both," she answers simply. "No one should be alone on Christmas."

The Grinch and the Lady in Black smile at her kind heart before realizing how serious this situation is. Cindy Lou gets scared and seeing that something snapped inside of the Grinch. Mercy Grace pulls back out due to her fingers giving out. Her father pulls with all of his might, maybe even more lifting the whole sleigh!

"I got you, Cindy Lou!" he calls out with the whole thing above his head.

"You did it!" she calls back, smiling big.

Max and Mercy Grace are beyond excited.