18

NARRATOR

"How many more years will we keep doing this for, Jisoo?"

Yoongi poured Jisoo another shot as she groggily traces her finger on the back of his other hand while her cheeks are slumped on the counter of the of the bar.

"Just... this year. The last... year."

He sighed and placed the bottle down. Yoongi never thought he'd get to be this close with Jisoo. They've known each other since High School but they were mere schoolmates who wouldn't bat an eye at each other. College happened, and a group of noisy people just gathered, bringing the two of them together. Usually they'd agree and debate on things that they both have different opinions on.

It used to be like that. Simplicity, really. It was a word to define their friendship.  They got each other very well but not to the point of knowing each other through and through.

Which is how they are now.

He just doesn't remember when the platonic fondness became something more. Something more intense, something sensitive that made him more aware of her. Yoongi was unbeknownst of everything and just realized he really really liked being with Jisoo.

He is clever. So he knows where to draw the line. It was controllable at the very least. In the span of 9 years of their friendship, considering the fact they were strangers in the same school is counted, in the span of those years, Yoongi knew her, liked her, was amused by her, loved her until it all just fleeted away into something more subtle.

Still, he never thought he'd be this close to that girl he used to see amongst the crowd when he was in high school. To Jisoo who was subtle in the friend group.

To Jisoo.

If you tried, if you dug deeper, you'll know exactly when Yoongi fell and when he is still in love and lastly when he prioritizes their friendship more than anything.

"You're so stupid. Crying endlessly when things could have been different." He said as he twirled his shot glass around. Jisoo's dancing finger on the back of his hand stopped. She tried to sit properly but ended up leaning her forehead on the table as she stared down at her shoes.

"If you wanted it so bad, you could've just taken it. You don't have to think sensible all the time. If that were the case, everybody would be miserable."

Jisoo took a deep breathe before answering. She was careful not to break down crying.

"If I weren't sensible, someone else would be miserable. Someone will have to be miserable no matter what I do, it'll be better if its me. I can bear it so they don't have to."

Yoongi rolled his eyes before pouring himself a drink and chugging the drink in his glass down in one shot.

"What a martyr. Do you want a medal? God, Jisoo. If there's someone who has to go down the sewage of mental health then why should it be you?"

Jisoo clicked her tongue before picking herself up and taking a shot.

"And? What should have I done? Take him back? After 5? 6? Years? I should have just rob her of her fiancè? I should have just broken their relationship that has lasted longer than our college rendezvous? I should have ruined her special day for the rest of her life?" Jisoo choked up on her own words before continuing, "I... Should I have just... couldn't I be just considerate?"

She groaned in frustration. It had 4 days since that snowy day and every night, she's debating with herself whether she had made the right decision again. This time, she has Yoongi to think it all over again. To mull everything over before it becomes yesterday.