39 | notebook

'cause this was only ever meant to be for one night
still, we're changing our minds here
be yours, be my dear

—□—

Learning about my father's job was the last thing I expected but I talked with him the day after my mum told me. He said I shouldn't worry, that he's fine, and that mum was only being dramatic.

Maybe my mum was overreacting but I couldn't blame her for crying. She was probably scared but she shouldn't be since my dad said that he had everything under control. I trusted them and I believed they were telling me the truth. Even though my mum seemed to be more on edge than him or me.

And somehow I was feeling calm. I wasn't worried about it, which was weird. It felt like it wasn't real and I guess it was because my father still had his job. It was also because I didn't want to freak out over something that wasn't that bad. I mean, he was still working.

I spent New Year's with them and Kay like we did before I met Harry. Even though I missed him, it was good that we couldn't see each other, because that gave me more time with my parents.

And we kept talking about dad's job, which made me realize why my mum was so on edge. My dad was still calm. He said that he had enough money in his bank account to worry about it. I asked why he might lose his job and he explained to me that it wasn't his fault, it was the company. He didn't dive into the whole mess, he just said that they were sued and I thought of the company doing some illegal shit, but I didn't know for sure.

Karen already knew because she found it right after I did. They didn't want to keep anything secret from us. Well, it might have taken them a few weeks but they still told us.

We were currently back at our apartment, because of our classes and also because Karen now had a job. She was working at a restaurant, she said that her teacher gave the best students this kind of opportunity. Karen never knew what to do in her life, she just knew that she had to cook and that she wanted to be the best at it. And now, she knew.

When she saw the restaurant and how things really worked in the kitchen, she was fascinated. Kay said that she wants to open her own restaurant but not in this town... no... she wants to go to New York.

The moment she mentioned that city, I instantly thought of my mum's friend that works at one of the many publishing houses. I thought about my future after it and how I wanted my life to be. I couldn't keep my books a secret forever and New York seemed great. I always wanted to visit that city. And if Karen opened a restaurant there, I'd be doing exactly that. I was just so happy for her and a bit jealous because she knew now what she wanted exactly.

She wanted to have an impact there and make the competition jealous. She was so determined with it and I was so excited for her. Kay was in a good mood every day and experimenting more with the food - she wanted to find her meal, the one that was the house's speciality. And let's just say that she wanted me to gain more weight because I was the one who was trying all that food since I was the only one around. But Harry was here now and I was tired to eat all that food that looked delicious. I convinced her to think that it'd be good to have another moment that wasn't mine.

Harry smiles with his mouth full of food, giving Kay a thumbs up, and I chuckle under my breath, discreetly taking my phone out of my pocket. I unlock it and open the camera app to take a picture of them. I turn off my phone and look back at them, grinning like an idiot as Kay grabs another spoon to dig it in another plate.

"Try this one too." She says, bringing the spoon with food close to Harry.

Harry shakes his head, raising his hands in defeat and I laugh louder than I expected, making both of them turn towards them. Harry points at me and then at his mouth, signalling Kay to give me the food, and I widen my eyes.