12.

The stories of the Spymaster of the Night Court spread around Prythian like wildfire.

He was a man who sought information while in the shadows. He hid in the night, stalking his targets, either to end their lives or simply spy on them.

It was said that he was vicious and brutal, slicing up his enemies until he was sure they would not take another breath. He showed up when they least expected it. His knives were his friends, their sharp blades working for a quick kill. Then he would vanish in the blink of an eye.

People said that he showed no emotion, that his eyes were blank as paper.

But Auriella knew that it was a lie.

She stared into those hazel eyes, seeing the shock instilled in them. She felt like she couldn't breathe, feeling as if his gaze was too much to bear, but she did not want to look away. She wanted it to be a dream, not believing that the beautiful Illyrian male in her sights could possibly be her mate.

And as much as she denied it, her mind only reassured her that it was him.

Azriel was the first to look away, his companions moving to take their seats. Auriella tried to look away, but her eyes followed him as he walked to his seat.

She took in his black armored attire, admiring the gleaming blue gems that shined in the sunlight. His wings were magnificent. They were tucked in behind his back, away from knocking over anything. He, along with his long-haired friend, Cassian, sat near their High Lord and High Lady, taking in their surroundings.

Auriella's attention was taken away by her father grabbing her hand. She looked over to him, seeing the nervousness that had taken over his face. She squeezed it, reassuring him that she was with him, even though it was hard to be in the same room with Feyre.

As the High Lords and High Lady greeted each other, Auriella felt his gaze on her again. She didn't look up at him, feeling as if she could combust if their eyes met once more.

Instead, she looked down at her lap. She let herself memorize his dark skin, how the sweat stuck to his brow, and how his fists were clenched at his sides. He was indeed a beautiful male. She couldn't help thinking about other thoughts. She stopped before she could get ahead of herself.

Auriella turned to her father, Thesan, she whispered, "May I speak with Pa for a moment?" She asked. Thesan looked at his daughter, thinking about her request, before nodding. Auriella smiled at him, shakily standing up from her seat and turning to walk to her father.

She could feel his eyes on her. It sent chills all over her body.

Zephyr narrowed his eyes, "What's wrong, diamond? Do you need to be excused?" He whispers to her, but Auriella shakes her head.

"It has been a while since I've been in such a setting. I just wanted to speak with you for a few minutes to try and get comfortable." She says to him, which wasn't a lie. It was tough to be in a room filled with people that were with her in Under the Mountain. She felt like she could suffocate if she stared at them too long.

Even though her father, Zephyr, was also there, she felt somewhat calmer, remembering the words he had said to her while they were both held captive.

Zephyr smiled down at his daughter, "You are distracting me from my post, little diamond. But, for you, I'd do anything." He whispers to her.

Auriella raises her brow, "Will you take me to the flower field just like you did when I was little? I promise I won't try to pluck one of your feathers again." She says.

Her father tries to hold his laughter, "I will speak with your father and brother to see if they would like to join us. If not, it will only be you and me. I have missed doing those things with you." He whispers.