40.

When Auriella and Azriel walked into the throne room of Rhysand's estate in Hewn City, everyone turned to look at them.

Perseus was immediately on guard, sensing the undeniable tension in the room. He stepped in front of his owner, letting out low growls. Azriel snapped his fingers at the wolf and Perseus went silent, still protective over the Daughter of Dawn.

Rhysand and Feyre stood in front of their starlight thrones, their faces holding nothing but fury. Auriella could feel the darkness in the corners of the room, ready to pounce if needed. Her shadows cowered away, peeking out from her shoulders.

Auriella had become a threat to the Night Court and she didn't blame them one bit.

The High Lord of Day stood at the foot of the dais, looking at Auriella with curiosity written on his face. It seemed that he didn't know what to think of her.

Damian was right next to him, staring right at his sister with worry in his eyes. Auriella could see a change in his caramel skin, holding a dim glow she had never seen before. His green eyes sparkled in the torchlight, gleaming with life. She could see him lightly shaking, but there wasn't any way to tell if it was out of fear or anger.

What should I do? Auriella asks through the bond.

It was clear that the Inner Circle didn't trust her anymore, seeing as she was the only one left alive in the arena. The sisterhood had disappeared without a trace and their mistress had done something to her that she wasn't able to remember. She could still feel the prickle on her chest from what was etched into her skin, sending small jolts of pain through her body.

Wait. They are assessing you. Rhysand and Feyre are wondering if you are a threat. As are the rest of them. Azriel tells her.

She couldn't help but ask, Do you think I am?

Auriella wouldn't blame him if he thought she was. He would have every right to. She had agreed to a bargain with the being that wanted her. It wouldn't be fair to be angry at him for something that deserved the hard truth.

But that didn't mean it would hurt any less.

After moments of silence, Rhysand was the first to speak. "Can you explain to me what happened in the arena, Daughter of Dawn?" He says, his voice deathly calm.

There were no delaying answers this time. The High Lord wanted everything on the table, but Auriella wasn't able to give them all to him, not when she didn't have a lot to lay out.

Auriella took a deep breath, her hand going up to the zipper of her suit. Immediately, her mate stood in front of her, his hazel eyes looking down at her. She could see the fear in them, sense the rising rage that bubbled underneath his skin. He didn't know how his companions would react to the marking.

I have to show them, Az. She says to him.

"Step away from her, Azriel," Cassian said from behind. There was no humor in his voice. This was commanding - like a General would be. Auriella wouldn't be surprised if he had soldiers stationed outside of the doors, ready to strike.

The Spymaster turned his head to the side, snarling at his brother. Cassian growled, taking a step forward before Emerie grabbed his wrist to stop him. He turned back to his lover, who shook her head, knowing that conflict would surely arise between them.

Everyone was at their wit's end.

"Get out of the fucking way, Azriel! Now!" The High Lord of Night demanded, making everyone stand upright. The darkness in the corners crept closer, no longer hiding.

Auriella was surprised that he still kept his ground. She could feel that every fiber of his being told him to move out of the way, to let her show Rhysand the unknown mark. But his fists were clenched at his sides, shaking with defiance.