38.

Auriella didn't know what to expect when she arrived in the Court of Nightmares.

After her eventful morning with the Spymaster, Auriella headed up to her room. Cerridwen was already waiting for her there, playing with Perseus, when she walked in. The maiden put her into a red and gold suit - Dawn Court colors - and sheathed soulender around her waist.

Cerridwen straightened her wavy hair, reaching all the way down to her mid-back. Auriella stared at the maiden from the mirror as she worked in silence, seeing how focused and calm she was.

As the sun beamed into the room, her dark skin glowed in the light, her golden jewelry shined as it reflected throughout the room, making Auriella look away. Cerridwen was definitely beautiful, but the Daughter of Dawn still couldn't shake the feeling that she knew her in some way.

She broke the silence, "Are you and Nuala from the Night Court, Cerridwen?" Auriella asked.

The maiden did not waver her focus, "We are. Our father is High-fae, who also happens to be a Night Court representative. Our mother was a shadow-wraith, hence the reason why Nuala and I can manipulate shadows. But she died decades ago." She reveals.

Auriella can't help but ask, "Do you know how?" She asks.

Cerridwen takes a deep breath, "After we were born, my mother left us with our father. As we got older, he had told us she departed to the Kingdom of Hybern. At first, we thought that she had betrayed the Night Court, but that wasn't the case. It was because she needed to protect someone important who resided there." She explained.

"Your mother worked for Hybern?" Auriella asked.

The maiden sighs, "She didn't want to. But the person she protected was a good friend of hers. She cared a lot for the woman. They had grown up together, but it seemed that the woman got tangled into a situation she couldn't get out from." Cerridwen says.

Auriella's heart tightens, "I'm sorry for your loss." She breathes.

The handmaiden looks at her from the mirror, a smile appearing on her lips, "I know that she did it for a good reason. My mother was a wonderful person to the end. She saved a life that she thought was worth saving. And maybe she was right to do so." She says.

Then silence overtakes the room once more.

***

Once she was done getting ready, Morrigan had winnowed her to Windhaven.

The camp was empty, with not a single life in sight. It felt as if everyone had abandoned everything; a ghost town. Morrigan had explained that they all had gone to Hewn City, crowding around the Arena of Nightmares.

Rhysand and Feyre headed over there a few hours ago, leaving the High Prince in the care of Nuala and Cerridwen at their estate. Azriel, Perseus, Cassian, Emerie, and Amren accompanied them, surrounding their High Lord and Lady for protection.

The Daughter of Dawn felt uneasy not having her wolf beside her. Azriel had mentioned that it would not be safe for him to accompany her through the crowd, knowing that he would surely feel threatened. Auriella agreed with him, leaving her wolf in his care.

She took a deep breath, knowing today was important for everyone, especially the sisterhood and Aiko.

They all stood in the sisterhood compound, along with Morrigan and Nesta, who were dressed in their solid black suits, weapons sheathed at their sides. The leaders stared at the Illyrian women, who all stood in one line, ready to head to Hewn City.

Morrigan cleared her throat, "As you know, today could be either the beginning or the end for the sisterhood. We have come a long way these last three years, preparing ourselves for this moment and beyond. It's time that we show the brotherhood, along with Devlon, that we are worthy of having this compound and to train other women who want to join." She says.