33.

THE BEING

Their fingertips dripped with pure black magic, leaking onto the meadow.

The sun above immediately hid behind the gray clouds, as if afraid to look at the dark being that walked the land of Prythian. There was nothing good coming from them, there was only darkness and unbelievable power yet to be unleashed.

Step by step, everything in their path withered away. The dark magic dried, becoming permanent for anyone else walking to see the destruction of the plain.

In the Being's mind, the War of Hybern was only the beginning. Prythian hadn't faced its real threat... not yet anyway. They were looming in the shadows, gaining knowledge from everyone else around them.

They were surprised that the High Lords couldn't feel them, sense their rumbling ability running through their veins. It was as if their own power held a shield of its own, unable for any faerie, no matter how powerful, to sense it.

Hidden in plain sight, which is just what they wanted.

The Being grinned, dark and sinister. Their teeth were stained with their own blood, bleeding from when they faced the Naga for sport. The creatures were lurking near the Human Lands, hungry for mortal blood. But, when they sensed The Being near them, the Naga immediately went for the kill, but it did not turn out how they thought.

The Naga did get a few good hits in. The Being gained a gash in their left thigh and right arm, but they were too filled with adrenaline to even notice their injuries. One of the Naga hit them across the face, making them bite down hard on the inside of their cheek. Blood immediately filled their mouth, but they weren't fazed.

The Being used its dark magic, annihilating the number of Naga that came their way. There was nothing but black blood and ashes that stained the grass. Even the shadows of the dead Naga were imprinted in the ground.

In the clearing near the Human Lands, eight onlookers watched as the being lifted its hands, staring at the leaking magic. No one moved, too shocked to even comprehend what the faerie had done.

The Being slowly turned its head to look at the humans in disgust, seeing just how utterly weak and useless they were. Their faces showed nothing but fear and dread.

With their dark magic, The Being took control of each of their minds. It was fairly easy, seeing how they had no shields. The humans grumbled, trying to defend themselves against the power, but it didn't work. Within seconds, each of their eyes turned into a chilling white, void of any emotion.

Head to Under the Mountain. Kill anyone in your path and bring their bodies with you. My magic will hide you. The Being sent down their minds.

The humans complied, taking out their weapons before running out of the clearing.

The Being followed after its emotionless creations, who were now standing at the rock-covered mouth of Under the Mountain. Bones and bodies were scattered around the front grounds, either dismembered or battered. It wouldn't be long until they were discovered.

They could smell the fresh blood mixed with the dirt. The delightful scent of death and decay was tantalizing, sending warm chills throughout their body. But then, there was that small part of themselves that regretted enjoying it; the raw power that they held was something that should never exist - a power to bring down worlds.

Start digging out the rocks. I am not at my full potential just yet. The Being said.

Their creations didn't answer, doing as they were commanded.

The Being took a deep breath, forming two dark balls of magic in its hands, levitating themselves off of the ground and going up to the peak of the mountain.

They looked around the flat surface, seeing their winged creations kneeling in front of their spiked throne. It was enchanted, black smoke rising from the sides. There was only one person worthy to sit on it. Themselves.

No one else could survive the darkness that radiated through it, not even a High Lord.

As they slowly gilded towards their throne, The Being let themselves remember what they were before, what made them make such drastic choices to become the person they were now.

Suffering.

Pain.

Endless nothingness.

Those emotions had destroyed them but also built them into something powerful. There was no one else who could compare to what they were.

A being of...

Suddenly, the enormous shadow landed on the mountain before them. A thing they had befriended from the corners of the darkness. It was something that obeyed what they were, while the darkness wanted something of its own. Their companionship.

The Being caressed the darkness's face, able to see its true form.

No longer will we hide, my friend. It is now a matter of time before we reveal ourselves.

The darkness bowed, showing where its allegiance lied.

As The Being ascended the steps to their throne, they couldn't help but look at the view of the continent of Prythian. From where they stood, they could only see the Dawn and Winter Courts. The two of which would be struck first once The Being had what it needed.

And when they sat down on the throne, they closed their eyes, feeling that pure dark power seeps into their veins. It would bring anyone to their knees, bowing down in surrender. Their body trembled, wanting to unleash that bitter power onto the land, but it wasn't time.

When The Being opened their eyes once again, the mountain rumbled, as if it too were prepared for the carnage that was to come down on Prythian.