41.

Auriella watched the sunrise come up from the roof of Rhysand's estate in Hewn City, wrapped in her mate's arms.

Azriel had woken her up early, insisting they go up to the roof before he had to leave to Under the Mountain. He was already dressed in his warrior attire, daggers sheathed at his side, and blue siphons gleaming in the low light. Auriella almost refused, yearning for sleep, but she didn't want to waste a moment with him.

She had gone back to her room, checking on her sleeping wolf, who was still sprawled out on the bed. She smiled at him, quickly changing into a new pair of undergarments since the one she had on last night was, unfortunately, ripped in half by the Illyrian.

Her mate followed her into the room, scoffing at Perseus, before opening the terrace doors. The cool air flooded the room instantly, candlelights flickering from the draft. Auriella breathed it in, feeling the overwhelming calm wash over her.

Azriel walked out first, turning to his mate with one scarred hand held out to her. She smiled at him, their shadows brightening with every passing second.

Auriella wrapped her arms around his neck before they both made the short trip up to the roof and they both sat there in the silence of the morning. She laid on his chest, her head on his shoulder, and arms on top of his. His head went down to the crook of her neck, planting light kisses there.

Auriella knew that it wasn't a moment of desire and lust, but of peace. It was like they both were able to take a deep breath from the chaos, basking in the silence of one another and saying words with nothing but their actions.

The blue sky started to brighten, revealing the white clouds that flooded the horizon. The yellow sun was coming up from beyond the ocean, coloring the sky in orange. The warmth of the sun hit Auriella's skin like another blanket being thrown onto her.

As the morning started to take over, Auriella could see her shadows orbiting her, moving like waves each time they passed. She reached her hand out, letting them dance on her palm. She moved her hand around, admiring how the shadow would twirl through the openings of her fingers.

Auriella chuckled, "I didn't know they could do that." She breathed.

Then, another shadow appeared beside hers, twirling in sync as she moved her hand. She knew that it was Azriel's, seeing how his were a bit larger and darker. They danced together, brightening in the sunlight.

Mate. Mate. She could hear them whisper. Her heart skipped a beat.

"I didn't know I could hear yours too." She breathed once more, looking up at Azriel.

He shrugs, staring down at her hand, "I didn't know they could do that either. It could be something that happens only between mates, but I am not entirely sure." He tells her, turning his head down to face her.

She was amazed at how handsome he was, taking in his striking jawline, plump lips, and those beautiful hazel eyes that she could stare at for hours. She put her hand on his face, caressing him, gently moving her thumb. He closed his eyes at the touch.

Underneath her palm, she could feel the calmness sweeping over him, as if this were the only way that he could maintain himself. There were days when she could feel his stress and anger boiling through him, threatening to explode at any moment, but it would suddenly squander away, as if he made the feelings disappear on their own.

He was holding so much inside of him, simmering beneath his skin.

"Who are you, Spymaster?" Auriella asked him, curiosity getting the best of her.

Azriel opened his eyes at the question, confusion flickering in them. She smiled, "You never told me about you, Az. I guess you know enough about me, but I'm still clueless when it comes to you. Who were you before you became the Spymaster of the Night Court?" She asked.