60.

ELAIN

Elain Archeron tended to her garden behind the Day Palace, picking out the weeds that grew in between her flowers.

Usually, she would ask her mate, Lucien, to help her, knowing that he loved to spend his days beside her, even if it meant picking flowers. But today, she decided to head out alone, feeling a heaviness in her chest that she didn't understand.

For the last couple of days, things had become unusual for her, seeing as things were complicated at the court borders. Elain was kept up to date on everything, gaining knowledge that she didn't have before. She was included in every conversation, every plan, and was trained to fight.

There were times where she didn't think she was able to succeed, seeing as she was someone gentle and kind to those around her. But after the war with Hybern, that's where everything changed for her.

Through the years, she had to deal with an abundance of things, including what she was going to do with her mating bond with Lucien. She didn't think that she was going to accept him, seeing that he was part of the reason she was made fae in the first place.

She had ignored him for months, thinking, wondering about what she was to do. But eventually, she made the decision to give him a chance, to let him speak. He apologized to her multiple times, promising that he would do everything to make it up to her.

And that's exactly what he did.

He was part of her healing, along with Helion and her family. It had been a rough road to walk, but she knew that she had to get through it. There were many times where she believed that she was going to fail, that things would never get better for her.

But somehow, she did. She had gained more confidence than she ever imagined, found happiness in the darkness, and overcame the obstacles that were put in her way. Along the way, she came to love Lucien, and built a life for themselves; a life she didn't think was possible.

And now, it was about to become a little more surreal.

She smiled as she thought about what happened a few days prior, wondering how drastically her life would change. Her heart skipped a beat, excited for the unknown.

But as she was lost deep in her thoughts, Elain was startled when she heard the screams come down from the city. She stood from the grass, walking towards the stone rail, seeing the people below point up to something.

She followed their gaze, seeing three of the corrupted sisterhood flying in the sky, making their way towards her.

Elain gasped, "We're under attack!" she yelled, making the guards posted outside getting into a fighting position. But as they tried to get to her, three more of the women came down from the sky, killing the men with their swords.

Elain stumbled back, remembering that she didn't bring any of her weapons with her. She mentally cursed herself.

"Elain Archeron, we have orders for you to come with us." One of them said, eyes gleaming with darkness.

She scoffs, "Leave my home at once! I don't care what The Being ordered you to do, I am not leaving with any of you!" She yells at them.

"If you do not comply with us, we will take you by force." Another of them says.

Before she could say anything, she heard Lucien scream, "ELAIN!"

She tried to get through them, but the women wouldn't allow her. Instead, one of them forcefully turns her to them, "If you don't want your mate to die today, you must come with us. The Being awaits you. No harm will come to him if you comply." She says.

"Guards, surround the perimeter!" Helion yells.

Elain feels herself become weak once again. She had taken so many measures to make sure that things like this wouldn't happen again. And now, when she was at her most vulnerable, was the time when she was least prepared.

"What will The Being do to me? What does she want from me?" Elain breathes, tears streaming down her face.

"Get away from her!" Lucien yells, pointing his sword.

The woman doesn't look away from her, "I can't tell you that. But I can assure you that no harm will come to the Day Court if we leave right now. If you decide to resist, I tell you now that Helion and Lucien will not survive and you will have to bury them six feet under the dirt." She sneers.

Elain sobs, turning to her mate, whose face held complete fury. His russet eyes were gleaming with hate, beautiful and deadly. Beside him stood his father, holding the same expression.

They had both done so much for her. She could never bear to lose them, especially in such a brutal way.

They had protected her, shielded her from any harm.

And now, she would do the same.

I love you, Lu. Until my heart stops beating. She tells him through the bond.

The High Prince of Day stares at her wide-eyed, "Elain! Don't!" He yells, breaking into a run.

The three other sisters drop from the sky, using their magic to push him away. Lucien, Helion, and the rest of the guards fall back, hitting the ground with a thud.

Elain screams, "No! No, please! Just take me!"

Immediately, the six sisters huddle around her, winnowing her away from the Day Court, and taking her to Under the Mountain.