16.

The next night, Auriella could feel the bond shift from time to time.

She sensed Azriel's agitation and stress that he was facing. Whatever was happening over at the Night Court camp could not be good. There were times when the bond went silent, but moments later, his emotions would overwhelm her; startle her almost.

Thesan looked over to his daughter, "Are you alright, Ella? You seem troubled." He tells her. No, she wasn't. But she wouldn't tell him that.

Auriella shakes her head, "I'm fine. I didn't have a good sleep last night." She lies. She would not dare tell him about Azriel and their mating bond. She had to keep that for herself for now.

It didn't look like her father believed her. Thankfully, guards went up to him before he had a chance to ask her other questions. She left his side, going over to her brother who was sharpening Wrathbringer.

Auriella unsheathed Soulender, taking a wet rag from the pail, and starting to clean her sword. "Isn't she sharp enough, brother?" She asked him.

Damian nodded, staying silent.

The Daughter of Dawn cleared her throat, cleaning the indents in her blade. "Is there something wrong, Damian?" She asks.

Her brother takes a deep breath, putting his sword down next to him. He looks around for any prying ears, then turns back to his sister. "Something happened to me in the battlefield," he says, "I don't know what it was, but for some reason, my hands glowed. It was only for a moment, but I swear they did."

Auriella leaned in, "Are you sure? I've never seen you do that before." She says.

Damian rolls his eyes, "Of course you haven't, Ella. It was the first time it has ever happened to me. No one else saw, but I did." He tells her.

She wanted to laugh at him, to tell him that there was no way he could do that. But as she stared at her brother, she could see the genuine concern on his face. It was clear that he wasn't faking anything.

And she remembered what she had done herself all those years ago.

Auriella took his hand in hers, "Whatever it is, brother, it is something that we can worry about another day," she stands from her seat, "Right now, you and I will be going to get something to eat because I am starving."

Hold them high!

The Daughter of Dawn felt herself freeze at the sound of his voice. It rumbled through her body, alerting her about what was happening. She felt the panic rushing down the bond, making her nerves soar like never before. Azriel was in trouble.

Legs up!

He wasn't screaming at her, but someone else. It seemed like he was too focused on the other person to even think about their bond. Her heart yearned for her to look for him, to protect him. But she couldn't do that.

Bank!

Wherever he was, it required for him to fly. Auriella remembered her father, Zephyr, yelling the word to young Peregryns that were learning to fly for the first time when they were at high altitude.

What the hell was he doing?

Fly.

She could hear the pain in his voice. He was injured. Everything within Auriella screamed for her to go to find him, to make sure he was okay. Her emotions were everywhere. She felt her mind going into circles, bile rushing up to her throat.

Auriella felt her brother shaking her, "Ella, what the hell is going on with you? You've turned pale all of a sudden." Damian tells her, helping his sister back down to her seat.