55.

Three months prior...

The Daughter of Dawn smelled the familiar breeze of the Dawn Court, feeling her heart tighten in her chest.

It had been months since she left her home, along with her duties. She knew that there would be stacks of papers accumulated on her desk as soon as she entered her room. She rolled her eyes just thinking about it.

Wadsworth had winnowed her back home, standing at the threshold of the Dawn Palace. He stared at her, his face scanning hers for any sign of difference. She stared back at him, seeing that he had bags under his eyes, exhaustion racking him more than usual.

"Has my father given more work for you to do? It seems that you lack sleep, Wadsworth." She tells him.

Her personal guard scoffs, "It has been hard without you and the Son of Dawn. But I assure you, Auriella, I am fit to be at your side at this moment. I have never failed you, nor do I plan on starting today." He says to her.

Auriella gives him a single nod, "I appreciate that, Roth." She says.

As she enters her home, chills start making their way up her body. She was enveloped in the cold, feeling a shift in her mind. It was as if she didn't recognize this place - her home where she grew up in, where she was raised to be the woman she was today.

But for some reason, it didn't feel that way anymore.

The Daughter of Dawn turned to Wadsworth, "How were my fathers during our absence? I hope that they didn't give you and the others much trouble." She says.

He shakes his head, "The High Lord and the Captain have been most generous to us. Yes, they have missed you and your brother dearly, but they also have a court to look after. They were worried about the both of you every day that passed. Thesan wanted to drag you both back home on the first day." He reveals.

Auriella chuckles, "I don't blame him. He has never spent a day without us."

As they walk down the corridor to the throne room, Roth takes a deep breath, "Daughter of Dawn, before we see your fathers, may we speak for a moment?" He asks.

She narrows her eyes, facing him, "Is there something weighing on your mind?"

Wadsworth looked both ways before speaking, "Auriella, your fathers will tell you things that may not seem believable at first, but are very much true. Ever since you were born, I have looked out for you, protected you from any harm that came your way. But, I have also heard the truth about who you really are." He tells her.

Auriella crosses her arms to her chest, "What the hell are you talking about? Yes, I am the Child of Night, but only you know that, along with the Night Court. I haven't told my fathers anything, not yet anyway. I believe that Damian has said nothing too." She says to him.

He takes a deep breath, "Auriella, there is so much you don't know. Your fathers have been keeping secrets from you; secrets that they will reveal to you and your brother today. I am just trying to warn you." He says.

She takes a step closer to him, "What have they hidden from us?" She whispers.

Before he could speak, a loud voice yells from the throne room, "HOW COULD YOU KEEP THIS FROM US!"

Damian.

Auriella immediately runs to the doors, opening them wide.

Her family is gathered in the room. Thesan sits gracefully on his throne, with Zephyr standing beside him. Two other guards are stationed at the corners of the room, gripping their sharp staffs. Damian stares at his fathers, seething from his teeth. Lara is right beside him, tears streaming down her cheeks.