13. Hear her roar

Sofia

Breakfast conversations at the family table had been the highlight of my day. Those few hours in the morning when Agustin cracked a joke or two and everyone at the table burst into laughter, was a charming sight to witness.

With Val's due date drawing closer, my training had become harder and rigorous. She wanted me to be fully trained before she went into labor.

It was only in the morning, especially during breakfast time that I felt the calmest. At that time, nothing about my training or how well I performed bothered me.

For a whole month, Gemma mentored me. Although during my training she was the strictest being, outside the four walls of the training room, she donned her charming personality.

I always wondered how she endured everything inflicted upon her, yet go strong. Yet smile.

Maybe she too pretended like me.

Alejandro walked by the time our breakfast was done. He carried the usual fallen face, eying everyone but me at the table. I wanted to ask him about what bothered him but refrained.

After all, I'd been burnt quite a few times to know better than to play with fire.

"You want something to eat?" I turned to Al as he plopped on the seat beside me. With a hand wave and head nod, he served himself a glass of juice and gulped it up.

"No thanks." Emitting a satisfactory sigh, he resigned himself from the gathering.

Our interactions had now come to this - formal and conducted only when necessary.

After breakfast, everyone went back to their routine.

Antonio and Agustin were checking the shipment's arrival for the Russians. Val, Gemma and I went back to our training. Alejandro, as usual, remained silent on what he intended to do. Knowing his nature, nobody bothered to interrupt him either.

After a few hours practicing what Gemma call the tactical attack, I was floored. My body - bones, skin and every inch of my cell ached. Every joint in my body ached, every muscle cried when I tried moving it.

I was sure I needed an ambulance just to be carried from this place to my bedroom.

Gemma was an incredible trainer. After all, she was taught by the very best -Gabriel. With him being involved in enhanced security after Mateo's betrayal, Gemma was made to overlook our protection.

"Okay champ, enough for the day," Gemma said, picking me up from the floor. As usual, our training went on for longer than we expected. "Tomorrow, same time. Also, I want you to practice every day."

Delivering her commandments, she walked out.

A quick, hot shower, balmed my aching muscles. Like always, I took a nap and by evening, went for target practice on my own.

Having seen me cry my eyes out during my training, Gemma had always been a tad easy on me. Though she wouldn't agree, I knew that sweet-natured girl wouldn't ever push me too hard. Hence it was upon me to ensure I was being strict for both of us.

As I hopped off the last set of stairs of the mansion, my movements came to a halt.

A familiar scent- of expensive soap and detergent - hit my nostrils. I turned to face a pair of grey eyes, scanning me from top to bottom, unblinking. Seeing Nicolas, I was transported back in time. To those happy, laughter-filled days before I was abducted.