27. Pangs of the heart

Sofia

"Are you sure you can walk?" I held Valentina's hand, making her move around the room. As her doctor informed, she had recovered enough to leave for home but not before checking all boxes as recommended by them.

Cussing while clenching her teeth, she moved. Gemma, who sat in the corner munching on Val's fruit basket, smiled looking at all this.

"Do you mind helping?" I tossed her a look. She shrugged, continuing her chomping.

"No, if Val wants to go home so badly, then let her try. If I were her, I would be already home."

Val's head snapped up. Gemma's spiteful words seemed to do the work. Straightening her back, she walked, aligning her steps to a line on the floor even though her face turned red with every passing second. She even ballooned her cheeks, trying to reel in the pain of her C-section.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She swatted my hand, finishing the whole length of the room and turning to face Gemma.

"Gemma, now do you have something to say?" Val's eyebrows remained hooked on her hairline as if asking for a new challenge.

I nudged her back to bed, one step at a time. "The doctor asked you to walk around, Val, not run a marathon." My words didn't seem to have any effect.

Pulling my face to look at her, she smiled. "I've given birth, not endured a bullet."

Reeling her back under the cover, I smoothened her wisps. "I know, and giving birth is more difficult than anything."

"More than taking a bullet?" She mocked, trying to deviate the topic onto Alejandro and our state of dynamics. I bit the insides of my cheeks, looking away. If I showed any hint of blushing now, I'd be doomed for a decade of tease and taunt.

"Let me check on the doctor," Gemma rose from the chair beside Val's bed. But her words were cut off by the man who entered the room.

"Allow me." Agustin stood at the threshold when Gemma spoke. The chivalrous man that he was, he took no time to dart back. Val and I turned to Gemma whose head followed him till he disappeared.

"Smitten," I coughed. Val giggled, holding my sides.

"What?" Gemma walked over, tossing a strange look at both of us. "What did you say?"

"Nothing," Val and I spoke in unison, giggling like school girls again. Gemma always hated whenever Val and I became a team. She felt left out. At times she had even protested about it. With our snorts and grunting giggles, Gemma left the room, fuming.

"She is going to be so strict with me during my training tomorrow," I said to Val, picking her medicines. When I did turn, a sly smile danced across her face. "What?"

She shrugged, only to crack with a chuckle later.

"Isn't Alejandro training you now?" Her question set off the butterflies to flutter back and forth in my gut, stirring warmth on my cheeks. I too was smitten like Gemma.

For the past few days whenever I was away from Alejandro, a knot grew inside my stomach. From every waking moment to the rest of the day, I wanted to be near him, clung onto his muscular body. Kiss him, fuck him. God, save me.

"What's the matter?" Gemma re-entered the room, pointing at my face.

"You guess? Val said. Her boredom had her choose a new victim for entertainment - me. With the twins in the incubator and she only had minutes of the day to visit them, the rest of her time was all about recovery.