21. Take me to church

Alejandro

Twins.

The whole family was taken by surprise by the announcement. Everyone, other than mamá was hit hard and heavy with the news.

I remembered Antonio's anticipation when he knew he was going to be a father. He couldn't contain his excitement in knowing if it was a boy or girl.

Val, who now seemed to be aware of it the whole time, was sly to keep it hidden. Sadly, she couldn't witness the range of expressions that ran on everyone's face when the doctor informed us about the twins.

After mamá reemerged from Val's room, Sofia and I walked in to meet her. Having only seen the babies through the glass shield of the intensive care, we all craved to be close to them. I, especially, was beaming on the inside. This was my first time being an uncle. I wanted to spoil those kids, give them what my brother would restrict them for.

I wanted those kids to grow up strong like their mother, calculative like their father and a little bit crazy like me and Agustin.

Inside Val's room, flower arrangements of various shapes and sizes covered more than half the area. Every ally of ours sent for one, letting us know they were joyous in our joy. This was, after all, our way of life.

The new heirs weren't just babies. They were the future kings.

In the bed, hooked with tubes on both her arms, Val laid. She gave us a feeble smile as we entered, already drained of energy to welcome us properly. Sofia left my hold, darting towards her.

"I was so worried about you," she sat beside Val, holding her fingers gently.

Like all times when Sofia brimmed with joy. She looked around the place as a means to contain herself. I knew then, she was only trying to appear less excited, delivering her next words.

"I saw the babies," with glistened eyes, she whispered. "They take after you."

"Excuse me." Antonio, who sat on the opposite side with me, straightened. "You are telling me, my babies have gotten nothing from my end?"

"Relax," Sofia raised her hands, dismissing his worry. "They have got your temper."

The room erupted with laughter.

One by one, the whole family walked inside the room. Only Carlos was out with Agustin, checking and evaluating the staff members who would care for the babies. This hospital had become a family get together spot for us.

My surgery happened here. Now Val's delivery. Carlos knew the dean of the place well. Truth be told, the dean owed Carlos and as a means of repayment, whenever something happened to anyone in the family medically, we came here.

Val, still in recovery, seemed weaker than ever. When I held her shivering hand, my throat dried up. Worst memories of my betrayal sprang up.

What if something would have happened to Antonio in the prison? The Sinaloa men already had him. It was only a matter of minutes for anything to happen.

Val tightened her grip around my palm. "You are worried as if it's you, next in line," her words pulled me back from the storm of guilt I faced.

"What?" I asked, unable to fathom her words.

With a wider smile, she tried raising her body from the bed. Her face cringed and a relapsed sigh indicated her state of pain. "I said, you are acting like the next one to deliver a baby was you."