8. The Unwanted Being

Sofia

After a lot of deliberation and being nudged by Valentina over the calls to return, my two weeks stay in Spain came to an end.

"Feel free to call me anytime." Santos pulls me in for a hug. His hand ran over the back of my head, plastering my hair. It reminded me of papa's way of holding onto me. "I want you to tell me if that Alejandro is causing you any troubles."

Pulling back, I stared into his wide, brown eyes. It radiated warmth and kindness - something which Santos considered to be a weakness. He patted my face, his own turning to a shade of pink. I wasn't sure if the color drain was due to my departure or something else.

These two weeks were a real eye-opener for both of us.

I had come to accept my weakness, accept that I was raised to be a weak being. My sheltered life molded me to accept whatever was thrown my way. Santos too, in a way, adjusted to his role as my protector. He kept me away from any sort of training or participating in the business. Although he loved me, I became a burden after papa's demise.

Now that he witnessed me being ill-treated by Alejandro, did Santos realized his mistake.

Deep down, my brother was a mushy man. He was willing to take any risks to protect me, even at the cost of his life. Though our time together may have come to a halt, I was travelling back knowing that my brother loved me. Cared for me.

I wasn't a burden anymore.

"Are you sure you don't want me to escort you back?" Santos asked, his concerned tone feathering my face. I kissed his cheek.

For once, I wanted to be independent. Without being handheld at every walk of life, I wanted to act on my own. I may fall but damn me, if I didn't try.

~

The whole of the flight duration, my heart kept thumping like an overworked machine. Valentina was desperate to have me back. She remained quiet about Alejandro's news. Although I knew there would be no change in him, a part of me protested to believe otherwise.

What if Val's urgency stemmed from Alejandro's demand? What if it was Al who wanted me back home?

It was a dream to wonder about it. A dream that made this turbulent air travel smoother.

The landing jolted me out of my sleep.

Moralez treated their woman like queens. The row of cars that came to escort me proved it. Most of them scrambled and reemerged in and out of the tunnel, all to ensure my safety. I had seen this trademark Moralez modus operandi whenever I came on vacations with papa as a child.

Anyone who might monitor my car wouldn't know which one I sat in. All cars had the same numbers, same appearance. All had a dummy. Only one had me.

When the last of the tunnel was crossed, my skin blazed. My heart thrummed harder as the distance shortened to my home. Alejandro's absence to escort me back from the airport was understandable. With the Russians leaving today, the final deal between them had to be ironed out.

With Al spearheading the project which kept him busy, I knew I wouldn't see him till after the Russians left.

My reverie broke as soon as we reached the end of the driveway, the brakes jolting me. I hopped off the vehicle and into the house. Flinging open the doors to the master study room, I ran in. My gaze stumbled upon Val and Antonio, kissing. They scrambled back, clearing their throat.