40. When the dust settles

Alejandro

A few weeks later

My peaceful sleep was broken when Aurelia hopped inside the room and landed on my chest. She wanted to check on me. By sitting on my torso, she evaluated the colored bruises before her tiny finger poked into them.

"Ahh," I cried.

"Does it hurt?" she asked, blinking her curious eyes.

"Yes, it does. But only a little."

Sliding off my side, she dragged her plush toy from the floor and tucked it beside my pillow. "This will keep you safe."

I looked at the little tiger toy my daughter placed. "Won't you need this?"

"Why would I?" her hands raised. "I have you, daddy."

There were some moments in life which would define and structure you. Today, my daughter's words defined me completely. I was her protective cover. She wasn't scared of anything. knowing well her father would be there to protect her.

Scooping my tiny angel in my arm, I tickled her. Laughter spread through the room as she somehow managed to escape from my clutches and ran out. Closely following her, my feet fired up.

"You won't catch me, daddy," she screamed, rushing off the stairs. "You are too slow."

"Careful," I called out, breaking my steps. "Don't get hurt."

At the end of the stairs, Aurelia looked up panting. "Tired already grandpa?"

I sat at the top, holding my head between my hands. Aurelia had yet again overheard Sofia's mocking me while we were in bed to repeat the same now.

"There you are," Gemma scooped Aurelia in her hold from behind. She tried hard to release off her clutches but was unsuccessful. I descended downstairs, bending to Aurelia's level.

"Learnt your lesson, my princess?"

She rolled her eyes, still struggling. "Nope and I never will, grandpa."

"What is she talking about?" Gemma enquired. "Why is she calling you Grandpa?"

Aurelia might be barely four, her attitude resembled that of a teenager. She raised an eyebrow at me and I held my hands up in submission. Having the ability to bring the world and allies at our feet, it seemed like the children of this family made us learn humility.

"Nothing," I lent my hand outwards and Gemma released her. "She is just being foolish."

Gemma playfully patted Aurelia's head, smiling at her as she ran again, screaming. "Bye, grandpa. And bye, Sugar."

With widened eyes, Gemma watched Aurelia disappear into the garden. Knowing quite well our peeping tom daughter, I was sure she must have caught Gemma too at some vulnerable state with Agustin.

However, Gemma pretended like she didn't hear my daughter's words.

"How are you feeling, Al," she turned, trying to break the lingering awkwardness.

I shrugged. "Feeling better. Nothing that would kill me."

"Hello there," Agustin entered through the doors, greeting us. He trotted towards me.

"How are you brother?" Like always, he punched me on the shoulder. A hand of his slid towards Gemma before he recoiled it back.

"I am fine," my lips curled up seeing the apprehension in them. "How are you? It's been so long since I saw you."