32. A late Vow

Alejandro

Things had blown out of proportion since I decided to change Antonio's rules. Our allies - all of whom were kept in control by his wrath - went rogue in days since I relaxed the rules. They did as they pleased.

Many used women and children as mules for drug trafficking while the younger females were forced into prostitution. Because of one lapse in my judgment, everything Carlos and Antonio built fell.

To tame these rogue men and their ways of conducting business, I needed strong people to support me. Gemma decided to accompany me to the meeting where I was meeting everyone.

With Antonio's unavailability to head the meetings due to the babies, I had a chance to set the records straight.

It was time to rectify the mistake and tie up loose ends.

Gemma walked by my side, leading ahead in the hallway. 

Before we entered the room where everyone had assembled, she turned to me. "You let me know if I need to take my guns out."

"Let's hope that won't be needed."

Before I took another step, Gemma put her hand over my shoulder. "One more thing. I've asked for reinforcements...Just in case."

She shrugged and opened the door before I could ask anything else.

Cigar smoke hung in the air as we entered the meeting room. Like a fog, my vision hazed. With only an overhead light, the darkness from the corners crept in between chairs, seeping around those men who stared at us.

José - our middleman - helped us by calling everyone to the meeting. He cleared his throat and stood up to embrace me.

This room bought back so many memories. It was in this room that I decided to betray my brother.

Guilt sprang from the depths of my stomach.

Gemma and I took out seats as José looked at everyone, smiling. As soon as he put out the cigar, someone knocked on the door behind him.

Sofia entered, her vision scanning the room.

As a reflex, I turned to Gemma who whispered. "Reinforcement."

It was Sofia's first meeting. Since Valentina was unable to come, I had asked Gemma to take her place. However, it seemed like Gemma made plans of her own.

Sofia walked through the round table, watching everyone who detested a woman's presence in the business.

She channeled unknown confidence in her walk and behavior. Only when she sat next to me did I realize that my wife was everyone's center of attention.

Something stirred in the depths of my heart.

Something innate and protective.

She was mine and mine alone.

A Salazar heiress who loved a Moralez's second-in-command. In reality, our story was the stuff of dreams and fairy tales - a storybook love that I took too long to realize.

"I didn't know you were coming." I leaned over to Sofia's side. Her lavender scent made my mouth water and filled me with regret.

Though I had apologized to her and let her have her time, a part of me felt scared.

I didn't want to lose her. I didn't want her to leave me.

"Preciosa." I was ready to spill my deepest, darkest secrets. But today, at this very moment, I was ready to make her the queen she was. "You'd be handling the meeting."