4. It only takes one decision

Sofia

Married but staying apart. Vowed to cherish each other but one cheated on the other. This was what my marriage symbolized. I believed everything would fall in place once Al and I were married, and once he saw what he meant to me. My first crush and first love.

I would be a fool to admit that I did have my doubts about our union. Thinking about it, I should have told Santos or Valentina about my apprehension. I was foolish to believe that just because it happened to Valentina and Antonio, I too would have my happily ever after.

"Sof," Valentina's voice broke my reverie.

Before I left for Spain, she wanted to meet with me. Entering the room, Val's soft smile pacified all my worries. So what if I don't have my husband's support. I have a sister who cared deeply for me.

Closely following Valentina was another woman. She was a beauty, alright. A figure that proved how perfect her genes were and a dewy face that could put all the dermatologists to shame. The slender beauty looked at me and smiled.

"I want you to meet someone," Val said before she turned towards the new person.

"Hi, I'm Gemma," she said, as we shook hands. "You must be Sofia."

I nodded vigorously. "Yes. Hi..."

Antonio finally got his wish. After Mateo's betrayal, Valentina was in dire need of a guard. Since his disappearance, we didn't want to take any chances, especially after Elena's actual death.

"Nice to meet you, Gemma," I said, sliding into a chair.

Val sat with caution, letting her hand guide her seat on the bed while Gemma plopped beside her. With only a few months left for the delivery, Valentina was now a slow-moving target who required more security.

"I've heard you are leaving for Spain today?" Gemma asked enthusiastically. I hummed in affirmation. "I've been there, it's a beautiful place."

"Yes, it is. You should come sometime." I said, but Gemma's face fell upon hearing that. She looked at Val who gave her a tight smile, patting her clenched fist. Given that I still wasn't aware of a lot of things about this family, I spoke in a lowered tone. "I'm sorry if I said something rude."

Gemma was quick to make her concerned face disappear behind a full-fledged smile. Giving a half shrug, she raised her chin, and head, answering. "I was molested by a gang member in Spain. Since then, I prefer not going there unless absolutely required."

Her eyes darted across the room as if she was trying to forget her words. Valentina rubbed her back. The care and concern from Val's gesture were enough for Gemma to let out a resigned smile.

"Okay, you two catch up while I go take a nap," Val held the bedpost, pulling herself up. Gemma and I gave her one hand each. Although she took it, what followed was a load of cussing. "This baby better be cute. It's already making me slow and weak and now this... "

She pointed at her enlarged belly, immediately placing a hand over her hip in support. I have seen pregnant women before. Valentina, in her slender figure, had a huge dome which as per Maria's instructions wasn't a topic to be discussed around her.

"What was I saying?" Forgetting her thought trail, Val looked around.

"Nothing." Gemma placed a soft peck of her shoulder, smiling. "You were going to sleep."

Val turned around, watching us both with a hooded gaze while cradling her baby bump.

"Don't get knocked up, amigas," she said, her eyes swirling with the usual motherly concern. Then her mama bear mode kicked in. "Or you both will become like me. Worrying about the freaking baby even when it's not yet arrived."