23. Welcome to the family

Alejandro

"We will do what?" Agustin was astonished when Antonio spoke.

He was already a wreck, unable to part in peace with our decision.

"We will get the Brazilian girl and your engament announced," Antonio looked at me before tossing an annoyed look at him.

Agustin was reenacting the same scene which I did a while back, unwilling to marry Sofia. Although at that moment, I was an idiot to think their decision was bad, assuming Sofia loved Agustin. If only I could travel back in time, I would smack that version of me.

She always loved me, as did I. We missed on so much and so many moments, assuming the worst about one another. When Agustin shook the my armrest, I looked back.

"Say something," he pleaded.

"Oh," what was I supposed to say to the man who was forced to marry another girl for business.

"Oh," he scoffed. "That's what you want to say? After everything?"

"Fine," I straightened. "Do you like someone? Anyone who can be your wife?" I knew my question wasn't about Sofia but his apprehension spoke differently.

Turning to me, he held my hand. "You know, Sofia likes you right?"

I smiled, patting his hand. Had someone said this to me earlier, before our confession, I would have laughed at it. Now, I know what he meant. A part of me wanted to scream my answer too. I love her.

Yet, deciding to retain my earlier demeanour, I continued. "You are wrong. She loves me. And as far as she is concerned, I know you have moved on but this isn't that," how was I supposed to convey to my brother, what it was? "This is for allies to be more than allies. Its for them to be bond in the ties that can't break."

"Then get the girl here, I will protect her like my own sister."

Although we laughed at his comeback, he wasn't ammused. Tossing the chair backwards, Agustin stormed out. Only when my mind registered the only other presence in the room to be of Antonio, it panicked.

I felt the sourness rising in my mouth, unwilling to believe that he would knew the truth and might disown me. The last time we spoke at his child's delivery, we evaded the topic, much to state the reality.

Antonio knew. He always does.

I straightened in my chair, feeling the heat from his eyes which looked at me. My hear was unwilling to rise from my chest, unwilling to acknowledge the truth about my betrayal.

"I know you did it," Antonio's words were both like a balm that soothed the rising anxiety and a piercing knife that cut through the skin. I remained seated, scanning the carpet. When he turned up to sit besides, I knew it would be the death of me.

"Al," he called out. Patting my hand, Antonio turned me to look at him. I was unwilling to acknowledge. The shame was too heavy, hung over my neck and shoulders. "You have to forgive yourself."

His words pierced my eardrums. Was I hearing it right? Did he ask me to forgive myself? Was I daydreaming?

The only way to verify if it indeed was a dream was to check for reality. Antonio was my reality check. I patted his hand, looking up at his smiling face.

Suddenly, the while room felt suffocating. I felt as if being chocked to death. Gasping for air, it was his hand that grabbed the glass and placed it between my lips. The cold waterran inside, calming the fire that rose from the pit in my stomach.

I was being fed by the same hands, the same man whom I wanted to kill.

"You are feeding a snake," that was the only statement I could make. "It's only a matter of time that it would bite you again."