6. The Crushing Knowledge

Sofia

The aerial view of Spin was mesmerizing. I watched the orange hue spread across the sky, laying an invitation carpet for the sun to come up. Upon our descend, even small turbulence made me yelp. With my eyes tightly shut, the warmth of Agustin's hand spoke to my skin and bones. It assured me it would be over soon.

Santos had done a full-blown preparation for our reception. An array of cars with security escorted us back to the mansion. Santos wished we'd meet him at his turf before the deal. The Moralez obliged - no questions asked. They knew that Santos only needed this show of meeting with us to convince his allies about him being in charge.

Inside the mansion, I looked around the refurbished walls. So much had changed since I left. Correction, since my abduction. The white walls at the entrance that hung paintings of the various Spanish artists were now vacant. I could relate to those walls.

As a part of the Salazar family, I was protected yet subjugated. Under Moralez protection, I was given all sorts of freedom. Yet that helplessness never left my body. Like those plain walls, it was my destiny to be powerless, vacant. A doll in the role of a wife, daughter and sister. A pawn whom nobody would give a second thought before sacrificing.

Is that why I was brought here? To act as a buffer in case Santos pulls a trick.

"Ready?" Agustin walked back to me after a quick round of talks with Santos. We walked back into my brother's study. Santos stood from his seat, jerking the desk before walking towards us.

"Sofia would be my partner for the deal." As soon as Agustin's words were registered, Santos's expressions snapped up. His eyebrows darted into his receding hairline, the smile on his face faltering. His neck twisted on the sides, his gaze fell on me.

With a clenched jaw, Santos leaned closer, whispering. "Haven't you told them, Sof, you know nothing about the business?"

I was too sure it was a joke Agustin played. There was no preparation or background given to me and I was sure, either Val or Antonio would revisit these contracts once we were back in Mexico. I turned to Agustin, expecting him to smile and reveal the truth.

He stood stoic. With frozen expressions, he continued gazing at me. My nerves flared up. Turning to my brother, I began.

"Actually, Santos..."

"Sof was made a part of the contract negotiation only now." Agustin's lips were drawn into a thin line. "It was my decision."

He was trying to make me feel better about yesterday when we almost... And what better way to do that than a gesture of this magnitude. Getting a pawn to play the king.

"Oh, of course." Santos moved away, settling into his chair. "Sofia is now a Moralez. So whatever you decide, Agustin."

Agustin walked beside me ignoring my constant stare at him. Was he crazy to involve me in the deal? I had no clue what to look for.

Like a racehorse focusing on what was in front, Agustin peered straight. I tugged on his sleeve, making him aware of the predicament he put me in. With a soft, slow blink, he smiled, pulling out a chair for me.

The whole of the contract negotiation took place between Santos and Agustin. I was an onlooker of the debate that ensued. Agustin was calm and levelheaded. Santos, as usual, acted like a petulant child when not getting his way. Eventually, upon the last clause, Agustin sighed, leaning into his chair. He held my elbow, turning to me.