Chpater 5

The next morning I move my necklace between my fingers. I am more uncertain then ever I don't know if I even want to win. Because if I win then Devan has to die and I hate having to think about having to go on without my friend or thinking I may have to watch him meet his end.

At breakfast everything is silent as I mess with my necklace subtly. I am dressed in the suit that they are sending me into the games with. It is thick but light weight and I also wear a pair of thick boots that came with it.

After breakfast we are about to go to the hovercraft that will take us to the arena when I embrace Finnick in one last hug.

"I love you." I whisper in his ear but I am called away before he can respond. And as I look back at him for maybe the last time I see a single tear fall down his face.

On the hovercraft I sit next to Devan. He holds out his hand in an attempt to comfort me as we are sent to our deaths. I'm caught off gaurd when they stick us with trackers, the girl from district one says it's to track when we die.

Then they send us under the arena to get ready last minute. My designer waits there. He quickly fixes my hair in a complicated braid that I don't look forward to taking out and I am sent up to the arena.

The numbers flash.

10. I shouldn't be this unprepared

9. Get ready to run just run and grab one or two bags then leave.

8. Just don't die.

7. I'm so dead.

6. I can do this! I can live and me and Finnick will be happy together.

5. I can't kill anyone. Don't do it.

4. This idiot from district 11 is about to step off her pedestal early.

3. Run run run.

2. You can do this just run.

1. RUN!

I take off running and get to the cornucopia.  Instinctively I grab two bags and a few daggers. A career notices me and aims her bow at me.

I race to the woods. I hear Devan call me name behind me. I look back and as he runs toward me the girl shoots her arrow. It hits him in his arm. He let's out a yelp of pain.

But he keeps running and we get to the woods successfully. We keep walking until we are far enough from the cornacopia. Devan collapses onto the floor when I decide it is safe to sit down.

I check the bags and find a small medical kit. It only has a needle and thread, bandages, an ice pack, and some alcohol wipes. Devan takes the arrow out of his arm.

"It's bleeding bad, it's going to need stitches." I say calmly but to my suprise I sound tough. As I take out the needle and thread.

"Wow where is this side of you coming from." Devan says smirking, but winces from the pain.

"Your going to have to take your shirt off or else I won't be able to get to the cut." I say quickly threading the needle.

"Oh if you insist." Devan says in a show offish tone

I roll my eyes as he struggles to take his shirt off with his injured arm. I get the alcohol wipes out to clean his cut. It's deep and jagged where the arrow pierced.

He sits shirtless showing off his abs. His arm is bleeding horribly. I kneel next to him cleaning his bicep wound.

He winces as I let the alcohol wipe touch his wound without warning. It is painfully silent and he is looking down at me cleaning his cut or just at me. No of course it is just at the cut.

I look up to tell him something and all of a sudden our faces are only inches apart. We hold an intense eye contact for a few seconds but I quickly end it. I am more than happy to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling.

"Okay this will hurt." I say as I start putting in the stitches.

He winces but handles it well. When it is finally sewn closed I get up to check what else is in the bags.

Inside the first one I find a few packs of dried foods, a sleeping bag, a water purifier, a water bottle and matches. In the second one I find a bottle full of water, some berries, night vision goggles, a blanket, a rope, and a few hair ties.

"You can have the sleeping bag, I'll use the blanket." Devan says.

"No your arm is hurt you can stay in the sleeping bag. Plus we aren't stopping until we find water. If your strong enough." I say simply.

"I'll be fine for a while." He says getting up.

I help him up and we go to find water. Devan seems to want to lead but I keep changing the direction we walk in, following the trees with most vegetation on them. Green means water, at least that's what they told us in school.

"Can't you just pick a way to go?" Devan says annoyed.

"No." I say simply, if he is going to be this impatient this will be a whole lot harder to survive.

We keep walking for what feels like hours until I stop abruptly. Devan stops and before he can ask I run to a stream.

"Told you I would fine some!" I say smiling.

"I shouldn't have questioned you." Devan says refilling the water bottles.

We set up camp in a tree next to it. I set up a few leaves and branches to cover our stuff so no one will find us as we sleep. There is barely enough room to fit both of us.

They show who died today. I know there will be a lot thanks to the blood bath. Both kids from district ten eleven and twelve, the female tribute from six,the male tribute from three, five, and seven are all dead.

Only ten are still out there.

"I'll take first watch. You try and get some sleep." He says.

I nod and get into the sleeping bag. He climbs off the tree and sits in a bush. I have a little trouble falling asleep but eventually my eyes close and I drift off, yet even in sleep the worst case scenario continues to play.

I wake up to rustling under the tree. I look down and can see the faint outline of the girl from district five strangling Devan. I quickly throw one of my daggers down at her. I can't see where exactly it lands because it is so dark all I hear is a cannon go off. I go down and see Devan on the ground.

I also see the district five girl next to him in a pool of blood. I rush to Devan. He is fine just knocked out. I walk to the girl's body slowly. Her eyes are closed. If it wasn't for the blood coming from her chest I would think she was asleep.

She is visibly dead. I take the night goggles from Devan and find a small flower growing from the ground. A yellow daisy. I take it and place in behind the girl's ear before dragging Devan behing a bush so he is covered.

I keep watch for the rest of the night. I can't help but feel horrible for killing the girl. I can't look like I feel any guilt since I know the cameras are keeping a close eye. So I manage to look calm as I watch for any other dangers that are bound to come out way in this hell hole.