Chapter 8

Dahlia's Pov:

I sit still as Effie braids parts of my hair in a half up half down hairstyle. The wedding was something we had always looked forward to. Me and Finnick spent hours talking of what we would do after the celebration and our life afterwards. A big house, two kids and each other.

I never expected to get married so far away from our home or around mostly strangers. I always dreamed of the dress I would wear, a simple yet elegant one, much like the one my mother wore. And I was sure the one Effie picked out looked nothing like that (although she insisted on keeping it a surprise). But the biggest surprise was that it would be used as a giant propo. I don't mind of course, anything to help the cause, but it added a sort of superficial aspect to it all.

I love Finnick, and I know all of the doubt that clouds my brain is due to whatever the capital did to me. I'm anxiously playing with the sleeves of my shirt when there is a knock on the door. Effie sighs as she walks over to open it, allowing some pieces of my hair to fall out of place. In the doorway stands Peeta, my face lights up.

"Hey Dahlia, I just wanted to stop by before the ceremony." He says, he still looks sickly and I can tell he isn't all the way healed, if healed at all.

"Peeta! I'm so glad you did! How have you been doing?" I ask

"Better, I think. They still have a guard walking around with me, which says a lot I guess." He is timid, not the Peeta I have grown used to in the quarter quell or the Peeta many of us have watched in his games. I knew the guard stood behind the door waiting for him to make a wrong move, this is the only way he can leave his hospital room.

"Well better is good, are you coming to the wedding? It's going to be wonderful, lots of dancing." I say, hopeful words, even though I know I'm asking for the impossible.

Peeta looks down at the floor sadly, he still looked so thin. It breaks my heart to know all he's been through. I know if I could've I would have taken every bit of pain he carried rather than allow him to go through all this.

"No, Coin is afraid I'll ruin it. But I made you a surprise, so keep an eye out for it." He said, forcing a smile.

"Really? I can't wait to see it." I say smiling wide, a real one.

"We still have a lot to do with so little time. So why don't you give us some space Peeta." Effie said kindly

"Of course, sorry Effie." He smiled a real smile, "and good luck Dahlia."

I smile back at him as he closes the door. When I turn around Effie has a big smile on her face and a dress bag in her hands. I brace myself for the worst as she unzips the bag. But where I was expecting a flashy dress hung a beautiful simple dress, exactly as I imagined. My face lit up and Effie helped me get into my dress. It was perfect everything I had dreamed of.

"It was specially requested by the groom." Effie said as I twirled in my new dress.

"He remembered." I whispered lightly

Finnick's Pov:

I had just started getting ready, a suit was placed in my room and they said they'd send one of the capital's old prep teams to do some last minute touches. But that wasn't what was on my mind, all I could think of was Dahlia. How she must be feeling right now, maybe she was as nervous as me, perhaps having second thoughts.

She always spoke of her dream wedding, by the ocean, simple and sweet. This was far from it, but I promised myself that when this war was over and we got back home I will give her her dream wedding. I hope at least some things are happening the way she dreamed.

I requested that her dress was made just like the dress she always spoke of wanting. It took a lot of convincing to get Effie to make her dress simpler than her original plan but I hope it was worth it. I hope it brings a little bit of happiness to her day, even if it is nothing like she imagined.

My heart is beating fast in my chest, I've never wanted to be with a girl so bad. And I am finally going to marry her. She is my reason for everything I did. I want nothing more than to be with her forever.

I put the suit on and can't help but smile, in a few minutes I'd be marrying the love of my life and that was one thing the capital can't take away.

Dahlia's Pov:

I stand behind the doors waiting for Effie to give me the signal to walk down. After a few nervous moments the doors finally open and Effie's panicked whispers to go remind me to begin walking down the isle.

Finnick stands at the end of it all and one look at him all doubt I had disappears. He's the only man I want, the man I want to marry. A tear falls down his face and I walk faster. Excitement fills me as I realize how real everything was getting.

When I get to him I whisper, "How do I look?"

"Stunning, now what about me." He whispered back.

"Absolutely ravishing." I answer back suppressing a giggle.

Finally it was time for our vows, I went first, then he went. The entire time neither of us could suppress our smiles.

"You may kiss the bride." The official said.

And just like that our lips crashed into each other. As we pulled apart I looked up at him with a smile I know I haven't smiled in forever. I am truly in love with this man and now nothing can take him away from me.

For the next couple of hours we dance like we used to in district 4. I hardly noticed the cameras because we were together just as it used to be and that was what was most important to me. Everything for once was familiar and perfect.

I had completely forgotten about Peeta's surprise until they wheeled out the cake. Unmistakably his work. It was decorated beautifully. I mentally reminded myself to thank Peeta and the rest of the night was perfect.

And I knew he was in love with me and I was in love with him and nothing could change that. And maybe just maybe if this rebellion worked out we could have the life we always dreamed of, a big house, two kids and each other.