Chapter 1

Dahlia's Pov:

I wake up in a cell next to a concerned looking Peeta. Johanna is in the cell on the other side of me. My hair is matted and my back in covered in bruises, from Peeta.

I had followed him and after her killed Brutus I had tried to bring him to his senses. When I went to touch him he threw me into a tree, after thay the world went black.

"I'm so sorry Dahlia, I really didn't mean to hurt you. I was caught up in the moment." He says looking at me sadly through the bars.

"I'm fine, where are we? Where's Finnick and Katniss?" I ask

"We're in the Capital. Finnick and Katniss made it out." Johanna says

"We're dead." I mutter as I try to get up but fall from pain.

"Dahlia, you didn't strike me as the type to give up." Johanna says

"I just know when to quit." I say staring at the roof.

Moments later two peacekeepers force me and Peeta out. I don't fight it, the pain is so bad I can barely walk along.

They lead us to a dressing room where a team gets to our make up. I ask them what's going on but they don't say anything to me as they brush and braid my hair.

By the time their done I'm dressed in all white, my hair is braided in a complex bun.

The TV turns on as they do the last touches, it shows Katniss shooting down the force field. Peeta looks shocked and I gasp. It'll help sell the act.

About ten minutes later they take Peeta out. I look at myself in the mirror as I wait for them to come get me. My skin is still bruised but the bruises have been covered in a layer of makeup.

The makeup doesn't do much the large bruises are still very visible. They have painted white eyeliner and a deep red lipstick on. I must admit if it wasn't for the black and blue staining my skin I'd look pretty.

"Dahlia, it's time." A young man with dark black hair says.

"Time for what?" I ask looking at him hoping that my fear doesn't leak into my voice.

"Your debute." He says offering me his hand.

I take it confused, he shouldn't be acting like this. He is wearing a peacekeeper uniform but his kindness isn't something I expected from someone in the capital let alone a peacekeeper.

He leads me to a room where cameras are set up and Peeta sits. It looks like he just talked with Ceaser who is sitting waiting for me.

The dark haired boy let's go of hand and gives me a nod of good luck. I give him a weak smile. His kindness is something to watch out for, Finnick always told me I was too quick to trust, but whats the point of watching out when I may only have a few hours left to live.

"What am I doing?" I ask him quietly

"They just want to interview you." He says

I nod and sit down in the chair next to Ceaser's. I sit up as tall as I can without passing out from pain. We sit for a few moments until the camera man nods at Ceaser.

"After those wise words from Peeta, Dahlia is here to add some words of wisdom." Ceaser says and the camera points to me

Finnick's Pov:

The cafeteria is freaking out after Peeta's message. Katniss has already left when the TV turns back on to show Ceaser's face again.

The room falls silent so we can hear the transmission.

"After those wise words from Peeta, Dahlia is here to add some words of wisdom." Ceaser says

The camera flashes to Dahlia, there is hurt in her eyes and a familiar tiredness deep in her face. She sits tall but I can tell by the way her finger twitches she is in pain.

"Dahlia, what are your thoughts on the games?" Ceaser asks

"Well death is always bad." She says, a vague answer. I know where she is going with this, and in the end it will undoubtedly get her killed.

"But you lived! That's something to celebrate!"

"At what cost?" She mutters, no capital mask. But something from behind the camera quickly pulls her mask back on, "Of course!" She says louder

"Your lucky to live through that rebel attack."

"Well, I wouldn't call it luck." She's testing her limits

"Well why no?"

"Finnick's not here, if I was lucky we'd both be safe." She's being vague, she's being smart.

Everyone turns to me but all I can hear is her voice. The softness is no longer there, she never used that voice during interviews. She said it was reserved for things that are real.

"Oh I see, well he's betrayed you. He's living in district 13 with the rebels." Ceaser says

"Well I'm happy to know one of us is safe." She says and stands up abruptly.

My heart leaps in my cheast, the dress doesn't cover her legs and as they're exposed to the camera I see scattered bruises painting her body. But the worst part is her back, it's covered in bruises.

The camera cuts off, I stand up quickly and the rest of the cafeteria fills with a mix of proud and angry voices. People hating Peeta and others adoring Dahlia.

Dahlia's Pov:

The dark haired boy's face is filled with pain when I stand up. Within moments he grabs me and leads me away.

"You shouldn't have done that." He says

"Just kill me." I answer

"President Snow has other plans for you and you just made this so much worse for yourself." He mutters as he leads me past the cells.

"Why are you helping me anyway?"

"I want to see Snow fall just as much as you do." He whispers so that his words are barely auditable.

Then we get to our destination, a room full of various devices with one thing in common. There are each there to inflict pain.