Chapter 2

Katniss's Pov:

We sit on the couch well Haymitch introduces the tributes. Peeta has made a list of all the victors with their strengths and possible weaknesses. He drew stars next to the victors that we are now facing as tributes.

Haymitch seems calm as he goes over the tributes, until the district four tributes come on.

"Finnick Odair, he is a threat. Won his games at fourteen youngest ever. Amazing at fighting with a trident and even better in water." Haymitch says over all calmly.

Then when a girl with long hair and striking blue eyes lifts her hand to vollenteer Haymitch's breath hitches. Effie puts her hand over her mouth and mutters under her breath, "Oh no not her. Not again."

After a second I recognize the girl to be Dahlia Rodriguez, or as she was called, the Capital's flower. We watched her games and couldn't find a single flaw in her fighting. The only weakness she had was her morality. She knew what she was doing was wrong.

"Finnick Odair's weakness, Dahlia Rodriguez. There has been rumors about them being together but the capital quickly shut that down. She is a natural fighter but has a heart of gold. She can make her own weapons and a capital favorite." Haymitch says.

"She's going to be hard to beat." Peeta says.

"Which is exactly why you want to be in an alliance with her and Finnick." Haymitch says moving onto the next tribute.

Dahlia's Pov:

Finnick paces the train as we watch the people we are up against. Of course Peeta and Katniss are the tributes. I was looking forward to meeting the young "couple" but not like this.

"I can't believe you." Finnick says running his hands through his hair.

"I'm sorry." I answer looking at the ground.

"Why? Why did you vollenteer?" Finnick asks clearly frustrated.

"I-I saw Mags about to vollenteer and I couldn't let you lose her. I know it would be too hard on you." I say holding back tears.

"Did you not think about how hard it would be to lose the love of my life! I can't! I won't!" He says frustrated.

I just shake my head. I'm the love of his life. This was the first time he has ever said something like this. I smile at the thought. Then I realize we won't have a future together.

"I'm the love of your life?" I ask my voice slightly cracking.

He immediately looks up and stops pacing.

"Yeah, of course. And I can't lose you, not again. I was so close to losing you last time. I can't have that happen again. I promise your getting out of this." He says kissing my forehead.

"We're getting out of this. Together." I correct him wrapping my arms around his waist.

We stay like this until we get to the capital. Finnick protectively moves himself in front of me as we walk off the train. I put my hand on his shoulder from behind.

He eases a bit and manages to pull off his capital act. I do the same, occasionally waving at the boys. Finnick drapes his arm over my shoulder gaining me some death stares from a few capital woman.

Their glares aren't even on my list of problems as I walk to my doom, again. When I get in the lobby is full of victor turned tributes.

My smile fades immediately as I'm faced with people who are like me, people who have been hurt like me, or worse. No one else smiles. Some of their best friends are getting sent off back to the arena and some of them are getting sent back.

If someone were to tell my sixteen year old self that I would be here, back in the games, I would have called you crazy. Even though I knew, even then that the capital was an unfair place.

Where people get taken advantage of, children get killed, and the souls of the children who lived are destroyed for the enjoyment of some old fat rich people who haven't felt what real hunger is.

Right as we enter the stylists start pulling people away. I quickly go with mine. The prep team is overly excited for my hair, again.

After the stylist and her team were done stripping me from one of my last reminders of my home. I just have to hold on to Finnick, make sure he lives.

They pulled my hair back into two French braids and put me in a blue dress with a fishnet draped over it. I almost look the same as when I first met Finnick. Just a little taller, and my eyes look older. I'm no longer that innocent child that he once knew.

I leave to the parade. Finnick waits for me almost naked. He smiles when he sees how my hair is up.

"You look amazing."

I twirl around to show him the whole dress. He laughs and takes my hand.

The parade is quicker than it was last time. I think it's because we both know that this time we're both on a suicide mission. I won't let him die.

He helps me down from the carriage and spins me around again. I laugh and he pulls me close and kisses my nose.

"Get a room you two." Joanna says

I laugh and we quickly get back to our floor. Mags waits there, she looks sad. I mean I can't blame her I'm pretty sad too.

Finnick nods to her and she looks expectantly. Finick let's out a sigh before he holds my shoulders at arm reach.

"Dahlia, love, I made a deal with Haymitch. We need to keep Katniss and Peeta out of danger in the games. Just keep them alive is what the deal is. And he'll get us out together."

"Finnick, if your joking I will personally throw you out a window."

"No, I'm not."

I tackle him in a hug finaly feeling a little bit of hope. Finnick kisses me on the forehead. I start crying from relief.

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm just so happy"