Chapter 6

Finnick's Pov:

I watch anxiously as the girl from district 5 attacks Devan from behind. Dahlia is only feet away from potential death. She just needs it stay still and she will be able to live through the night.

Then to my suprise I see her head pop out to see the girl. The look on her face is completely calm. I panic a little bit inside. I couldn't imagine living without her, let alone watching her demise.

She throws something that looks like a knife at the girl. The girl immediately falls and Devan falls the other way. I am in shock.

Dahlia, the girl who refused to kill a spider, kills a person. I can see pain in her eyes but she is trying to hide it. She picks a single flower and places it behind the girl's ear.

I can't believe that she managed to hurt someone. I could no longer see the innocence in her eyes as she keeps watch for the rest of the night.

It breaks my heart knowing these games are breaking her. I can see she is hurting but she hides it well enough that I know no one else could.

Dahlia's Pov:

I manage to get some blueberries for breakfast. I know I no longer deserve to live. I killed someone. That is practically unforgivable.

I try to justify it in my head, it was to save Devan. It doesn't help. If anything it makes me feel worse. Finally being alone with my thoughts becomes too much and I wake up Devan.

"Wake up sunshine." I say cheerfully.

He jolts awake, panic painted over his face. I just smile and hand him a handful of blueberries.

"Thanks" He mutters popping one in his mouth.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"My head hurts like hell." He just says rubbing the back of his head with his free hand.

"Well drink some water and hopefully it'll get better." I say handing him a water bottle.

"Thanks." He says taking it.

I sit with my legs crossed eating a few blueberries. I gave Devan most of them, but I left a few for myself.

The rest of the day is just Devan complaining about his head well I try and find food. I hunt for the first time in my life. I have fished before but there are no fish in the stream. So I take out my knives and I kill a few wild turkeys that ran by.

Devan has just been dead weight so far. I know that I have to keep him around though because he is the only thing keeping me sane and he will have to be useful after a while. He does have more training then me.

Three people died today the girl from district five, eight, and six. We are that much closer to getting out of this.

"Wake up! I made breakfast." Devan says handing me a scrambled egg. I knew he would be useful.

There is no fire to be seen. He just eats an egg well he wraps another wild turkey up for later. We have enough food to last us the rest of the week.

I eat the egg using one of my knives to sharpen a decent sized stick. A makeshift spear. I used to make these when I was younger and make little forts with them.