Chapter 4

Dahlia's Pov:

It's the night before the games and I can't bring myself to sleep. I toss and turn until Finnick wraps his arms around me.

"You can't sleep either?" I ask snuggling into him.

"I doubt anyone can, but try. This is probably the last night you'll sleep in a bed for a while." He says tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

I close my eyes trying to sleep. Finnick pulls me in closer and I fall asleep to his heart beat. I dream about the last time I was in the arena.

"Dahlia wake up!" Finnick says shaking me awake.

I realize I've been crying. I wrap my arms around Finnick and cry into his chest. He pats my back, "It's okay, your okay." He whispers

"No, today we're going back." I whisper

"I know love. I'm sorry, so sorry." He whispers

We sit like this until I finally straighten myself. I have to be tough, especially to survive against my friends.

"You ready?" He asks kissing my forehead.

"Yeah, let's do this." I say sounding more confident than I feel.

We walk to breakfast and Finnick doesn't let go of my hand as we walk over. I hope he never does.

I adjust the necklace slightly as I poke at my food. Finnick looks at the little I've eaten and places his hand over mine.

"Eat, you know it may be the last chance you get for a while." He says quietly

I pick at my food and a look of desperation washes over his face. A wave of guilt hits me.

"Please, love, just eat. For me?" He repeats

I try to eat even if my stomach refuses the food. He brings my hand to his lips and places a small kiss on it before standing up.

"Well let's get going. We have a game to win."

I smile to myself as he takes my hand and pulls me up from the chair. He spins me around and pulls me close to his chest.

He's never really openly showed our relationship in the capital out of fear that I would be hurt because of it. I guess now that we're both potentially marching off to our deaths it doesn't matter.

Mags already knew about the relationship but everyone else at the table looked in shock. I giggle as his arm wrap around me.

"A hug before and we'll have on after." He whispers in my ear.

"I love you." I whisper back fighting back tears.

He let's go of me but takes my hand and we both walk until we have to separate. I wait next to my stylist as she fusses over my hair.

She finally finishes bobbypining any fly away hairs. She smiles at me and whispers "Good luck." I nod and step into the tube and try to breath as normally as I can.

I close my eyes and steady myself. Then the floor starts to rise and my heartrate with it. I lightly touch the necklace.

I'm surrounded by water and I almost laugh in relief. This first part should at least be a little easy. I search the other tributes for Finnick. I can't see him. He must be on the other side of the cornacopia. Peeta is on my side of the cornacopia.

The timer counts down and when it gets down to one I dive into the water. The salt water burns my eyes but I'm determined to keep them open.

I look to where Peeta should be swimming but I reliaze that district 12 isn't near water. Of course he wouldn't know how to swim. That would be too easy for me.

I do a flip turn and race to Peeta's platform. He is trying to wrestle with someone attacking him underwater. I yank Peeta's attacker from him and give him a boost back on his platform.

Peeta's attacker quickly pulls me into a chokehold and pulls me underwater.

Finnick's Pov:

"Where's Peeta?" Katniss asks as I survey the water for him and hoping that Dahlia is alright.

I quickly pick him out, he is standing on his platform still. It takes me a moment to realize that in the water in front of him there a brawl going on.

I recognize Dahlia's long hair as it floats to the top covering what is happening under the water. I told her to put her hair in braids, it must have fallen out.

I dive back into the water and race to her. I hope with every inch of my being she isn't already dead.

Sure enough in the few seconds it took for me to get there a body had floated up from the water. To my relief it was a bigger guy. Not Dahlia.

She pokes her head out of the water next, gasping for breath.

"Did I miss the party?" I ask

"Not yet, you help Peeta." She says out of breath

I nod and swim off to Peeta whose still standing on the platform. I take him and help him swim back. Dahlia is following us.

Katniss embraces Peeta in a hug. They acted well, I'll admit that. I toss Dahlia the knifes I picked up for her.

"You know you shouldn't throw knives." She says, I smile down at the ground. I can't believe she still makes me speechless after all these years.

"Let's go." I say

Dahlia slips her knives in a sleeve on her hip. Peeta and Katniss are finally done with their reunion and I lead the way away from the cornacopia.

When we get to the tree line I take Dahlia's hand and spin her around. She giggles and I feel Katniss eyes burning through the back of my head.

"Hurry up." She says

"What's wrong Katniss?" I ask mockingly earning me a smack on the arm from Dahlia.

"Oh shut up Odair." Katniss says

I smirk but before I can answer with my normal smart remark Dahlia interrupts me.

"Guys let's just try and get along. We're allies right?"

Jeez, I love her so much.