Chapter 8

Finnick's Pov:

We've been here for hours trying to finish wrapping the wire around the tree. Apparently Beetee made it, so it's long and sturdy there must be miles in the one spool he carried around.

We all helped with it, but as it got dark we slowly started to see our progress. Beetee's side of the tree is covered in calculated patterns of wire well the rest of ours are medicore looking at best.

When it starts to get dark Beetee explains to the girls what they need to do. It is really only a one person job but it's important that if there is an attack they have people to counter it and make sure the wire isn't broken.

My heart beats quickly as every possible way this could go wrong runs through my hair. After Beetee finishes explaining the plan is time for good byes.

Dahlia walks over to me with a nervous look in her eyes but every other features spell out calm.

"Well, see you soon." She whispers taking both my hands in hers.

I remind myself to not let the anxiety get to me. She'll live and we'll both get out of here. If she dies I don't know what I'll do. She saved my life, the least I can do is save hers.

"Please be careful." I whisper back pulling her into a quick hug.

"Just in case I don't come back, I love you." She whispers to me.

"You'll come back." I answer letting her go.

She just shakes her head and leaves to join Johanna as we wait for Katniss to be done with her goodbyes. Eventually I interrupt them, the sooner they leave the sooner they'll be back and the less room for mistakes.

As they walk away I feel my heart speed up. She can handle herself I know that, but can she really kill another person without breaking?

I pick my trident up and stand guard for Beetee as he finishes up wrapping the tree. Peeta is just as nervous as I am.

"Finnick, when I die swear that you'll make sure Katniss is okay. Please." He says after a few moments of awkward silence.

I almost let out a sigh of relief when I hear his words.

"I'll swear if you promise the same for Dahlia." I answer

He nods and we both come to silent realization that in just a few moments both Katniss and Dahlia could be gone for good.

As if on cue I hear Katniss' screams from the woods. No Dahlia. Immediately Peeta makes a run for it, I follow.

"Peeta!" I yell trailing him as he runs away.

He runs in the direction of Katniss' scream but the screaming come to a stop. He doesn't stop and eventually he outruns me.

"Peeta!" I yell

I'm quickly interrupted by Dahlia's scream. My head shoots to where the noise came from. Everything else leaves my mind as I race to Dahlia.

When I finally get to her, she stands over the body of Enobaria. No flower, but Dahlia wipes a tear away from her face.

"Dahlia!" I yell running to her.

It isn't until I'm closer that I notice the stab wound in her arm. Red runs down her arm but she is all too ready to get this over with.

"You go after Katniss I'll find Peeta." She says tying a large leaf around her wound to stop the bleeding.

"We're not splitting up." I answer quickly

"We have to, no time to argue. I love you." She states and before I can get another word in she kisses my cheek and runs in the opposite direction.

I sigh and take off back to the lighting tree. Katniss must have gone back, I don't know what I'll do if she hasn't.

Sure enough when I get there she has tied the wire to her arrow and has it aimed at the force field.

As she let's the arrow fly I yell for her to stop, but it's too late. Sparks fall as the force field breaks. Katniss lays on the ground and I run to help.

Before I can even get to her two hovercraft appear. Distrct 13. One picks up me, Beetee and Katniss up. The other goes to find the others.

I let out a sigh of relief as I see the other hovercraft pick someone up. It has to be Dahlia. She's safe. She has to be.

The hovercraft quickly leaves and I'm rushed onto a stretcher so that the doctors can make sure I'm all okay.

They treat a few cuts and the boils the fog left. They told me to stay laying down but I quickly get up once they leave.

I find myself in a hallway and quickly see Plutarch looking over plans. I enter the room.

"Where's Dahlia?"

"Finnick! I'm glad to see your okay." He says ignoring my question. I can see it in his eyes that he is hiding something.

"Where's Dahlia?" I ask with more urgency in my voice than before.

"Finnick, you need to understand we tried to get you all out bu-"

"She's just in the other hovercraft right?" I say more as a warning than a question. If she's not I don't know what I'll do but I know Plutarch won't like it very much.

"The other hovercraft wasn't ours. Johanna, Peeta and Dahlia are currently being held by the capital."

My heart drops in my chest, and the punch I throw lands straight into the wall. A loud crack meets my ears as my fist collides with the wall but I don't feel the broken bones.

I don't feel anything except a little poke in my neck. As the world goes dark my brain goes over every possible sick thing the capital is probably doing to her.

I should never have let us split up, for all I know the capital has killed her. Before I can think of another horrifying senerio darkness surrounds me and I'm greeted by unconsciousness.