Chapter 2

Dahlia's Pov:

Today is the day of the reaping. I make my way over to Finnick's house. My hair is tied up in two long French brains and I have a skip in my step.

My name is in the reaping two dozen times and before I would be worried. But I need to be strong for Finnick, he worries enough for the both of us. My name would've never been in so many times if I had enough food.

My mom died and my dad left her when I was young. I have only managed to stay out of the orphanage by pretending my dad is still here. Which has been difficult but anything is better than the orphanage.

I get to Finnick's house and ring the doorbell. I take in a deep breath, I can't let him see me nervous. I have to be strong for him. A moment later the door swings open.

"Hello!" I say

"Hey, come in." Finnick says opening the door just wide enough for me to get through.

I walk in and sit on the leather couch in his large living room. His whole house is huge, but that is expected in victor's village. He follows obviously anxiously.

"What's on your mind?" I ask

"How many times is your name in again?" He asks a little to quickly.

"Twenty-four." I answer immediately, how is one to forget how close they are to death.

He just nods with his arms crossed. I could tell he was worried.

"Don't worry. It isn't even that much." I say sitting up. A lie.

"Only in three years you put your name in there twenty-four times?" He asks.

"I'm not proud of it." I say getting up and walking over to him.

"I'm worried about you. I couldn't live with myself if you got reaped and well, you died." He says

"Don't worry. You'll be just fine, I'll be just fine. I promise." I say hugging him. Another lie.

"You don't know that. What happens if you do get reaped?" Finnick asks.

"Then you will be able to tell me you told me so." I say as he hugs me back.

"I'm just worried about you." He says.

"Don't be. I am fine. And I will be fine after the games too." I say trying my best to comfort him.

He smirks and lifts me over his shoulder. I laugh as he drops me onto the couch. I look at the clock and jump off the couch realizing we only have two minutes to get to the justice building.

It is good I got dressed before I got here. I'm dressed in a purple sundress that Finnick brought me back from the capital.

"We have to leave now." I say panicking as I take my hair out of the braids quickly. Wavy strands of brown fall down my back.

"Are you sure you don't just want to skip this one? Stay here with me?" He asks.

"You know we can't. Come on." I say opening the door for both of us.