Chapter 1

Dahlia's Pov:

I walk back to Finnick's house in victor's village. I've just spent all day at the docks alone because Finnick was summoned to the capital. He said he'd be back by now, and I fully intend on being there to make sure he is okay.

I am forced to make "visits" to the capital often now, just as Finnick was afraid of. He was furious the first time I was forced to go. Yelling about how Snow can take this from him but that he couldn't stand it being take from me. I remember when I came back he tried to hide the tears in his eyes as he apologized for not being able to protect me.

But in the last year the districts have begun to rebel. We haven't discussed it much, as an ounce of defiance from us could result in one of us dead. But we both silently support the districts even if district four hasn't begun its rebellion yet.

I pick up my pace so I can get there in time to watch the quarter quell announcement with Finnick. I finally get to the large house and shake the mud off my boots before letting myself in.

"Finnick? Are you home yet?" I ask to a seemingly empty hall.

Finnick peers over the wall smiling. He lifts me up and spins me around. A giggle escapes my lips before their met with his and we share a passionate kiss.

"Someone's in a good mood." I say out of breath.

He smiles spinning me around.

"I just missed you." He says kissing my forehead.

"I missed you too." I say wrapping my arms over his shoulders.

He places his hands on my waist gently. He hums a slow melody and we sway to his tune, it is perfect, too perfect. As if on que we are interrupted by the TV flashing with the capital symbol. I flinch at the sudden sound and we break apart to focus on the announcement.

We both take our places on the couch as the broadcast begins. President Snow walks onto the stage.

He clears his throat then begins, "On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest amoung them cannot overcome the power of the capital, the male and female tributes will be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

It takes me a second to process what he said and for a moment we sit in silence. Before Finnick abruptly stands up, and angrily launches a nearby vase across the room. His reaction sets off something in my head and suddenly I just want to be at the docks. Before I know it I am sprinting down the path I know all too well.

I barely notice the rocks digging into my bare feet as I race desperately pushing against the wind. As I approach the docks I breath in the ocean scent and the moment I get to the water I dip my feet in. They are bleeding from the jagged rocks that still sit lodged into my bare feet.

The salt water stings but I ignore it. I need to be in the water, the only thing that stayed the same after my games. Finnick treated me like I was fragile, and the other people from our district placed me on a pedestal. The ocean stayed the same, a wave of consistency in a world of inconsistency. Little wisps of hair fly into my face but I ignore them staring in front of me trying to focus on the small ripples on the surface of the water.

I don't know how long I'm sat there before Finnick's voice echos through the docks, "Dahlia! Dahlia! Where are you?!" He calls. I can barely hear his words, they're almost like they're underwater.