Chapter Four • The Boys' Secrets

All day, Claire had been thinking about Remus and thinking up a bunch of different ways that he would 'hurt her'. Did he mean physically or mentally?

She was sitting next to Lily in transfiguration and McGonagall was going on about how you have to hold your wand a certain way in order to turn the quill into a bird. Every once in a while, Claire would look over at James and Sirius next to them and see their very deformed quill, sitting on the table. No Remus to do it for them.

She had never really noticed but classes were significantly more boring without Remus. Maybe it was just her though. Lily and Claire had turned their quill into a bird very quickly compared to the others in the class. Whenever McGonagall would come check on the four of them Sirius and James would lean over and ask her questions about something that Claire couldn't quite make out.

"Boys do you happen to know where Mr. Lupin is?" Professor McGonagall asked them at the beginning. James and Sirius, being the gits they are, didn't even answer her questions. "Minnie, aren't the stars just beautiful? You know, tonight's supposed to be a full moon. That should be cool. Don't you think?" Sirius asked throwing his hands up in the air. McGonagall just sighed and nodded. "Ah yes, how could I forget."

Lily and Claire glanced at them and gave them confused looks after their response before going back to their work. At least Claire knew she wasn't the only one that didn't understand anything they ever said.

After all of their classes, everyone was hanging out in the common room, even Remus. He was sitting very close in between Sirius and James and kept nervously glancing out the windows. Remus didn't say anything at all, except for some whispers to Sirius.

"Well, we've had a great night but I think we're going to go take a walk," James said grabbing Peter's wrist and dragging him off the couch. Sirius and Remus got up too and began walking to the portrait door. "Oh, I'll come with. I've finished all my work anyways,"Claire said, getting up from next to Lily.

Remus spun around, along with Sirius and James. "No!" They all said in unison. "Oh, c'mon guys! If your just going for a walk," Marlene said. Claire nodded and smiled at them. "Well," James began but then Sirius grabbed Peter, Remus and James and ran out the door. Claire ran after them, tying her hair as she did. "What are you guys doing?" She asked going after them. "Is it some prank I'm not supposed to be in on or something?"

James turned around and ran backwards. "Yes, now leave," He said hastily. "Wait really?" Peter said smiling. Sirius groaned and smacked Peter's arm. "Dumb ass!"

Remus just kept running and looking out every window he saw. The sun was setting but yet they still looked as if they were going outside. "James, what are you doing?" Claire asked, catching up to them. "Oh my god. We're going to be late!" James yelled to Sirius, Peter, and Remus. "What!?!?" Remus yelled, but Sirius just grabbed his wrist and kept pulling him.

They were now outside, close to the Whomping Willow. "Umm, guys?" Claire said, slowing down as they approached the tree. "Claire, leave. Now." Sirius dragged Peter closer to the tree and James ran over to Claire. "Come back right away tomorrow. It's Saturday so you won't miss any classes," He said angrily. "Leave now." Claire nodded and ran back to the castle. When she looked back all four of them were gone. Just like that.

Her skirt and hair was blowing in the wind as the sun disappeared under the horizon. She would've enjoyed the beautiful sunset across the fields but it was hard to when the only thing she could think of was Remus.

Her mind wandered as she thought about Remus and wondered if he was okay and if James, Sirius, and Peter were helping him with whatever problem he was having. "Tomorrow morning" she told herself. It'd all be over tomorrow.