Chapter Twenty • Sirius's Birthday (Part One)

"Remus! Remus! For fucks sake Remus! Talk to me!" Claire yelled, chasing Remus down the corridor. "Remus John Lupin, look at me!" He stopped quickly and turned around. "What, Claire!? Here to apologize again? Well I'm sick of the sorries!" She stopped running too. They were still around seven feet apart.

"Remus..."

"No, Claire. I'm sick of it. I know you're sorry, okay? I know that you regret your decision, but that doesn't change the fact that you felt like you couldn't tell me. I thought we weren't going to have secrets anymore. What happened to "everything is going to be okay"? Because guess what, everything is not okay! I know you're sorry but if you really loved me like you said, you would've told me about going to your dad's!"

"I didn't want you to make a big deal of it like you are now! I'm back and I'm not hurt, Remus! I couldn't have told you after I got there anyways because he took my owl! I do love you! And I trust you too, I just didn't have a way to tell you. I wanted to go to Diagon Alley. I wanted to be there on the first day. I wanted to see you. I wanted to be with you, smiling, knowing that you would always be there for me. So please just talk to me again."

"Claire, you had the option to tell me before. To tell me that he had contacted you, but you didn't. You trusted your sister that you hadn't seen or talked to in two years before you trusted me? How messed up is that?"

"Please just listen for once in your fucking life! I didn't want to put you in any danger, okay. I knew that if I wrote you a letter, he would see it! He doesn't know about us-"

"HOW CAN YOU SAY US WHEN YOU IGNORED MY LETTERS FOR A WEEK AND DIDN'T TELL ME WHERE YOU WERE OR WHAT YOU WERE DOING!? I almost contacted the authorities! It's a literal war out there. What if you'd been killed!"

A few students passed by and gave them weird looks but Claire just pulled out her wand, motioning for them to leave.

"LISTEN TO ME! My dad doesn't know about us and if he did, he would be very angry, Remus. He would've found you. And not contacting you was the best way to keep us a secret. Do you think I wanted to ignore you? You know how many times I sat up in my closet of a room and cried while reading all of your letters, missing you more than ever. It killed me!"

He took a few steps forward. "I don't fucking care if he comes for me. I love you, Claire. If that means walking the entire world to hide from your shitty dad, then so be it! I'd rather die knowing that you're okay and safe and happy than live, wondering where the hell you are and thinking oh Merlin what if she's dead!" He said angrily.

"I- I couldn't let you get hurt." She stuttered as he stepped forward. "I'm a werewolf, Claire. I get hurt all of the time. You, on the other hand, don't. I can't let you get hurt." His voice was shaky but still full of anger.

"Then why did you ignore me for a full two weeks? Why did you let Eden play around with you? Why did you tell me not to come during the full moon?"

"I was angry, Claire." He said, running his scarred hands through his messy hair. "And this isn't about Eden." A few more people passed them, this time Remus made them leave. "What's it matter to you anyways?" He scoffed. She rolled her eyes back at them and said, "Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that she's hitting on my boyfriend." He crossed his arms stubbornly. "She is not hitting on me."

"Really? What about how she tried to kiss you during your lessons? Yeah, I heard that."

"Well, how do I know that you weren't off snogging some French bloke?"

"You know I wouldn't do that, Remus."

"Yeah, I know."

"Look, I just don't want you hanging around her anymore. Do you not remember how she slapped you?" Remus just shrugged angrily and went on. "It was once and I don't blame her." The sun was starting to set and a pinkish light covered the corridor. She gave him a stern look, he realized how much she resembled her mum after seeing that painting. He let out a soft sigh and pulled her into a hug. "I missed fighting with you," he said, rubbing her back.