Chapter Five • Confessions

I'm a werewolf.

Remus's words replayed over and over in Claire's mind. Lily was obviously thinking the same things as Claire because she gasped and squeezed James's hand so hard it went purple.

"But I just didn't want to hurt you. That's why I didn't tell you," Remus said. Claire slowly let go of his hand and stood up. "No, no, no, please don't hate me," Remus said standing up as well. He quickly fell over and caught himself on Claire and the wall next to him. She helped him straighten up and pulled him into a hug.

She couldn't really process what was going on but she had to comfort him now. Everything he had gone through could not make this moment any better. Claire may not know much about werewolves or Remus for that matter but she could still try.

"I could never hate you." Remus smiled as he wrapped his bloody, weak arms around her.

Lily let go of James and walked over to Remus. Claire and Remus let go of each other and Lily quickly hugged him herself. After they released, Remus gave a weak smile to his friends. "You can't tell anyone. Not even Marlene," Sirius said. "Now can I have my shirt back?" They all laughed and Claire threw his shirt back at him. "Well now it's full of Remus's blood." They laughed and everyone except for Remus began to pick up a little bit around the shack.

"We should get you to the hospital wing," Lily said, walking over to Remus. "No! I want to go to Hogsmead," Remus protested. "I can't miss my first trip of the year." They all smiled at Remus and Claire admired him for being strong enough to walk around town all day instead of going to sleep and taking medicine. "I can go afterwards," He said, trying to walk. He still stumbled around a bit but that was just how Peter walked.

"You okay there?" James asked. He had his arm around Lily but this time, she wasn't stopping him. Remus nodded as Claire came over and intertwined her fingers with his. Remus smiled down at Claire making her heart flutter. No more secrets. She knew he was safe and he- well, he knew she'd at least be safe until the next full moon.

As they walked around Hogsmead Remus never let go of Claire's hand. The others pretended not to notice this but Lily knew that Marlene, Dorcas, and Mary would find out somehow. Probably through Sirius. Remus's hands we're clear of all the blood, leaving them cold and soft in Claire's.

Hogsmead was perfect around this time. Just warm enough that you wouldn't have to steal each other coats and cold enough that you get hot butterbeer whenever. All six of them walked into The Three Broomsticks for some drinks. They sat down at a big table, just enough for all of them. "Do you think the other girls will show up any time soon?" Peter asked, sucking down his butterbeer. Lily and Claire shrugged and explained how they were the only ones awake when they snuck out.

Remus was still holding on to Claire's hand, and every once in a while they would forget that they were even doing it. "Don't act like we don't see it, Remus," Sirius joked looking right at them. "What?" Remus asked, smiling. "I see that look on your face. I saw you guys holding hands," Sirius said, pointing back and forth at Claire and Remus. They both began to blush and didn't  look back at Sirius. James nudged Claire with his elbow at whispered. "I think you guys are cute." She smiled back at him and whispered back, "So are you and Lily." James gave a cheeky smile as Claire winked at him.

~

After Hogsmead, Claire took Remus up to the hospital wing to see Madam Pomfrey. "Does she know, dear?" She asked Remus, looking over at Claire. He nodded at her and flashed Claire a quick smile. It was nice to see him in a good mood, even though she could tell that he was in a lot of pain. The moment he sat down on the bed he winced. Claire's heart skipped a beat as she watched him clutch his own wrist in his other hand.