Chapter Twelve • Ravenclaws and Regulus

The next days went very well for everyone. Nicholas had finally started leaving them alone and didn't knock on the door five times a day and Claire and Remus got quite a bit of alone time.

New Years Eve was approaching and they decided to all just hang out at James's house and not go to another one of those parties. Claire was still a little suspicious about the boys being so interested in Transfiguration all of the sudden, but she tried not to worry about it.  They didn't give off any hints so Claire decided just to drop it and enjoy the rest of her break.

It was New Years Eve when Claire and Lily woke up in her room, the winter light shining through the window. Remus had moved into James and Sirius's room when Lily came so she didn't have to sleep with the boys. Lily's face was all pink from laying in her hands. "Happy New Year's," Claire whispered as they slowly opened their eyes.

Lily softly smiled at her, still closing her eyes. James, Sirius, and Remus must've been up early because Claire had heard loud noises coming from their room while she slept. A knock at their door made Lily opened her emerald eyes more. "Can we come in?" A muffled voice asked from outside. Claire recognized this as Sirius.

"I guess." The three boys came bursting in, chanting "Happy New Years!" Remus looked less enthusiastic than James and Sirius did, yet he still chanted embarrassedly with them. Claire giggled at them, making eye contact with Remus as he forced a smile. "Good morning boys," She said as they stopped.

She turned to sit on the bed, facing Remus as James and Sirius did some sort of dance thing in the corner. "Morning," Remus said quietly, leaning down to kiss her quickly. Lily groaned and pulled the pillow over her head. They laughed serenely before checking the time. "Ooh! Breakfast!" Sirius called, hurrying out the door.

They ate quietly before Mr. Potter announced that him and his wife would be spending New Years with one of his co-workers, rather than with them. They all politely nodded, secretly really excited to have the house to themselves. "Now you better not get into too much trouble while we're away," Mrs. Potter warned, cleaning off the dishes. James assured his mum that nothing bad was going to happen and that they would be completely responsible.

Later that night, before the Potters left, everyone was checking that all the doors were locked and assured Mr. and Mrs. Potter that they wouldn't let anyone in or go out. "Okay, I trust you," Mr. Potter said, putting on his new brown shoes. "Euphemia, dear I think it's about time we go."

Just like that, James's parents were gone and the house was quiet again. That is, before James turned to play some music on the muggle record player. Sirius and James had been getting each other muggle music for the longest time and damn it was Claire's favorite thing.

James started to dance a little bit, spinning around and grinning at Sirius who had spun Remus around jokingly. They all danced and laughed and just enjoyed the night to themselves. As midnight approached they were all in the living room, talking together when Remus remembered something that he had upstairs.

"I'll be back, lads!" He said, rushing up the stairs. Less than one minute before midnight. "Moony! Hurry up!" Sirius called from the bottom of the staircase. "I can't find it!" A muffled scream came from the bedrooms. "Remus you are going to miss it!" James called too.
Five...four...three...Remus came scurrying down the stairs and nearly flung himself into the living room.
"Two...one!" Right as James yelled for midnight Remus stood straight up in front of Claire and pulled her in for a kiss.

Fireworks from others in the neighborhood went off right as the clock struck twelve. James and Sirius hollered at Claire and Remus as he embraced her. Lily smiled widely at them from over on the couch. Despite being surprised by his touch, Claire couldn't have been more happy.