Chapter Two • Run In With Snape

The Great Hall was truly an excellent sight. The ceiling was enchanted to look like a night sky and the long tables filled most of the space. The staff table was a bit higher than the others and at the front of the room, and banners for each house were displayed all throughout the ginormous room. Peter was already waiting at the Gryffindor table next to some second years none of them recognized and Frank Longbottom.

"I hate to leave you but I think I'm going to join Lily, Marlene, Mary, and Dorcas for the feast," Claire said slowly walking away from James, Sirius, and Remus. "Dorcas and Marlene sure have been spending a lot of time together..." Sirius said eyeing the girls sitting at the table. Claire nodded, not paying nearly as much attention as she should've.

Claire began walking to the spot at the table that was clear, next to Lily Evans of course. On her way she kept turning back to look at the boys and how lost they were as they stared at the food. Apparently they had missed the sorting already. She was so distracted by their star struck faces that when she turned around to face the front of the hall she ran straight into someone.

Severus Snape.

"Watch where you're going, filthy mudblood!" He snapped before anyone could look over at them. "Now, move!"
"Oh- I'm so sorry! I wasn't-" Claire began before she quickly realized who it was. "Oi! Snape! Get away from her!" James called and the hall went quite, including the professors. "Oh, Merlin," Lily quietly gasped as she turned to see the boys and Claire all standing there.

"James, please- not now," Claire tried as James began walking closer and closer to her and Severus. James slightly shoved Severus forward and Lily tried grabbing his wrist. "Claire, move," James insisted looking Severus dead in the eye. "James-" she said but Sirius had already got to the other side of James and Lily had let go of his wrist.

"I said get away from her," James snapped. Severus slowly took a step back before Remus grabbed Claire's shoulders and pulled her away from James and Severus and brought her closer to him. Snape was now looking down at his shoes, choosing not to look James and Sirius in the eyes.

"Apologize to Claire," James demanded. His face was red hot and he wasn't paying any attention to Lily's hand, which was surprising considering how in love he was with her. "I'm not apologizing to a mudblood." Severus quickly said back, finally look up. Marlene looked quite confused at why Snape would call her a mudblood when she wasn't even muggle born. A few other students sitting at the tables hollered at him but they couldn't tell if it was in support for using a slur or if they were upset.

Lily, Claire, and Mary gasped at Snape's words and Remus held tighter to Claire. He must've been really upset now to because his grip just got tighter and tighter. "Remus-" Claire started to whisper before she was cut off by James once more.

"I said apologize! And don't go around saying that word to people Snape!" James hissed, starting to pull out his wand. "She's not even muggleborn anyways!" Sirius added, trying to help. James and Sirius made a very good duo when it came to fighting off Severus, so hopefully now would be no different.

"You boys! Always getting into trouble!" Professor McGonagall cried, hurrying up to all of them. "I suggest you head to your house tables before something bad happens." Her expression was just enough to make them to sit down, but not right away.

James was still red and gripping tight to Lily's wrist rather than her holding his. Sirius had his hand on James's shoulder and the other ready to knock the life out of Severus. Remus on the other hand was still holding as tight as he could to Claire. She could feel his heartbeat against her back but it didn't seem like he was even breathing.

"Walk away, Sev," Lily said quietly to him. Sirius and James let go of each other and Lily and relaxed, still staring directly at Severus. "James, sit down." Lily said slightly touching his muscular arm. "I suggest you listen to Ms. Evans, Mr. Potter." McGonagall said with her usual stern look. "Now." Snape began to step away and so did James and Sirius.