Chapter Twenty Four • Snivellus Snape

Severus Snape had always been the antagonist in their stories. He also had an obsession with Lily. Although, James did too, but James loved Lily. Snape, on the other hand, was obsessed with her. Even Lily had grown quite annoyed with her friend, finally realizing how bad of a person he was.

This especially came to her one Saturday. They were all out on the grounds enjoying some of the last sun for the year. Remus and Claire were reading (the same book), Sirius and Peter were levitating random objects and shooting them across the yard, the other girls were chatting away about Christmas, and James and Lily were playing chess.

It was a warm November day, but they were all still in their sweaters and blankets. Claire had almost fallen asleep against Remus as they read, her eyes fluttering shut as he whispered the words softly. She hadn't slept in a few days, with all the homework her professors were assigning, how could she sleep? Remus had noticed this and as soon as she closed her eyes, leaning against his shoulder, he rested his on her head, holding her hand.

"Oi! Potter!" A deep, annoying voice called from behind their tree. James groaned, looking to the side of Claire and Remus. "What do you want, Snivellus?" James and Sirius complained together. They all got up, even Claire and Remus who had almost completely fallen asleep. "You and him!?" Snape hissed at Lily, pointing towards James. "Severus..." Lily tried interfering but with James and Snape nothing could get in their way. "What about it, Snape?" James snapped back, gripping his wand.

"Impedimenta!"

"Expelliarmus!"

James was faster. Snape's wand went flying into his hand and Peter silently cheered from behind.

"Nice one, James!"

Mulciber and Barty Crouch Jr. were close and prepared though. Mulciber snuck out from behind another tree, grabbed Claire by her shirt and pulled her back towards him. He held his wand up to her neck before anyone noticed. Remus turned around first, seeing what was happening. Claire tried kicking at him to distract while she rummaged for her wand, but he was too strong. "Let her go, Garrick!" Remus threatened, pulling his wand out too.

"And if I don't?"

"You don't even want to go there." Remus's voice was serious and he stared right at Garrick. "Don't play with me right now. Let her go." Mulciber raised an eyebrow at him. "Why shouldn't I mess with you? Is it your time of the month?" He teased, stepping back. "You better shut-" Remus was cut off by a screech that sounded a little too familiar. Snape and Sirius were on the ground wrestling, tearing at each other with no wands.

Their dark hair was just a blur as they threw punches. Remus saw that James had both of their wands now. Peter was biting his lip and Lily was yelling at them to stop. "Black! Get off 'im!" Remus yelled, grabbing Sirius and tugging. "Oi! What was that Moony! I could've won!" Sirius complained, straightening up. Snape too stumbled to get back up, straightening his muddy robes. "You'll pay for this, Black!" He hissed. Sirius taunted him and took his wand from James.

Mulciber had noticed Lily's prefect badge on the ground and quickly snatched it. He was still holding tight to Claire though. "No, no, no, no! Mulciber what are you doing?!" He walked them up to where Remus was and held out the badge for a quick second. "No! Stop! Remus move!" Claire tried, kicking as she struggled against Garrick. It was too late. Mulciber took the pin and sliced a bit of Remus's neck.

He immediately fell the the ground, clutching the back of his neck. Mulciber began hysterically laughing at this and let go of Claire. She quickly dropped from his grip and collapsed next to Remus. "James! Get Pomfrey!" She yelled. Claire brushed the dirt off of his face and propped his head up. Sirius was on the other side of him now and was yelling at Garrick. "What did you do to him, fat, ugly bloke!" Snape, Mulciber, and Crouch just stayed behind, snickering to themselves.