Chapter Nineteen • Family

12 Grimmauld Place

"Sirius? What are you doing? It's past midnight?

"I'm sorry, Reg."

They could hear the house elves scattering around downstairs. Regulus looked over at the luggage in Sirius's hands. What was his brother doing? He had come back from the Potters' for a while but he wasn't supposed to leave again this summer.

The cold drafts in their home sent shivers down the brothers' spines as they stood in the hall. Their relatives hung on the walls watched them as Regulus tried to comprehend his brothers actions.

The old floor creaked as Sirius set down his huge, brown trunks. He took his younger brother in a hug, crying. Sirius had never been so vulnerable and emotional. He always tried not to cry in front of Reggie their whole childhood. He wanted to be strong and protect his brother from the dangers of their family. One of the many things Sirius failed at.

"I'm so sorry, Reggie."

"No."

"I have to leave."

The brothers cried in each other's arms, ignoring their relatives mocking them from the walls. They never liked those paintings growing up. Always told them to be quiet and go study in their rooms rather than running through the halls or talking to Kreacher.

"Nasty blood traitor!" They called to Sirius. He had gotten good at ignoring them over the years. "Piss off," he replied" through tears. Kreacher came up in the hall while they hugged. "Does masters require Kreachers assistance?" He asked but the brothers brushed him away.

"Sirius, please stay. For me."

"No fucking way."

Another cold draft made them shiver in place as Regulus looked at his worn down brother. Sirius's hair way messy, he had dark circles under his eyes, bruises on his arms, and a cut across the side of his neck. Regulus almost didn't recognize the man his brother had become.

Regulus on the other hand, was perfectly a Black. His hair was short and almost curly from the fire in his room. His jawline was perfectly defined in the candle light and his pink lips never looked so pink. Reg's eyes were bloodshot though. Dark and gloomy, his pupils stood out against the redness of his eyes. He had a few dark freckles across his perfect, small nose and Sirius remembered the little boy he played with for hours before realizing what a horrible person his mother was.

Would Regulus snitch on Sirius. They had been brothers since birth of course, but it was more than that. They weren't brothers like Sirius and James were. Sirius had protected Reggie from the horror his parents caused him. Sirius knew what his parents were capable of and knew that he could stop them from doing the same to Regulus.

"Regulus, come with me. You can be happy. We don't have to be the heirs of The Noble House of Black."

"Sirius, you know I can't. They know all these curses and spells. They'll send Bella after me or something. Mum and dad don't care about you though. They won't even notice if you're gone, but they need me."

"No they don't, Regulus. They're using you. What are you going to be a Death Eater now?"

"No! I- please."

"I'm sorry, Reg."

~

Nobody mentioned Regulus to Sirius that night. They decided to play truth or dare again, in honor of a new year. "Let's make it a tradition!" James said, sitting next to Lily. They all laughed, remembering back to what happened when they played. Remus and Claire were sitting together again. She leaned up against him, sitting between his legs.