Chapter Eleven • Game Night

After Remus and Claire had returned to the others they noticed that James hadn't told them what happened. Thank Merlin. He would glance at them every once in a while to make sure they weren't trying to sneak off again, but either way it was fine.

They danced for quite a while, Sirius and James taking it a bit too seriously. Lily and Claire were dancing together as well. Remus stood watching the four of them as he subtly swayed with the music. A few girls (and a very drunk sixth year boy) tried to hit on him every once in a while but he just ignored them or politely declined and walked closer to Claire. She tried not to pay attention when they did, I mean she couldn't blame them- especially if they didn't know that they were dating. Lily had obviously noticed this too because she would look over at Remus anytime a girl passed them.

"WHO WANTS SOME FIRE WHISKY?" Some voice yelled from the front of the room. Everyone cheered very loudly, all except them. James and Sirius stopped dancing and looked over at the others. "Drinking? But we're not all of age." James said to them, rubbing the back of his neck. "We should go. It's getting late anyways ," Remus said, leaning his head against Sirius's shoulder. "I'm tired and I can't stand this bloody music," He continued.

Sirius patted his head and turned him over to Claire. He leaned down to hug her by her waist as they all went quiet. "Do you reckon they have some floo by the fireplace?" Lily began. "We could use that instead of calling a car." She suggested. Claire- who now had her chin resting on Remus's head and her arms around him- agreed and told her that she had seen some when they walked to get drinks.

They headed over to the fireplace, passing many drunk people, a few couples making out, and a little house elf on the way. Remus apologized to the house elf quietly after Sirius had almost stepped on her. "Sorry, mate!" Sirius called, continuing to follow behind Lily.

The arrived at the fireplace and a few people were scattered in the room, talking or snacking away. James grabbed a bit of floo powder from the mantle and stepped into the soot. He gave the location of his house and everyone followed, going up in green flames.

Floo powder was a very common thing for Claire growing up. She would go back and forth between the Potter's and her own house to get clothes or other items without her father noticing.
Her sister had told her that you couldn't get into Hogwarts by using the Floo Network though, which was very disappointing before Claire started going.

When they got back to James's house everyone was startled to see Mr. and Mrs. Potter sitting there, drinking their nightly tea and reading the daily prophet. They slightly jumped in surprise as they all came out of the fireplace, toppling onto each other. They brushed the soot off of their clothes, standing up to face his parents. "Dear Merlin, children what are you doing back so early?" Mr. Potter asked, pushing up his glasses.

James cleared his throat, cleaning off his glasses as Lily stood up next to him. "Got a bit out of hand, we thought we'd just have a fun night the five of us," He said, covering up the alcohol factor. Everyone nodded in agreement as Mrs. Potter stood up and walked to the cabinet by the bookshelf. She pulled out wizard chess boards and handed them to James. "I know how much you two love this. Go have fun up in your rooms or something," She said, smiling at James and Sirius.

James swallowed nervously as Lily grabbed his hand and pulled him up the stairs, the others following close behind into James and Sirius's room. Claire ran her hand along the wooden railing as she headed up the stairs next to Sirius and Remus.

James opened the door for everyone as Sirius jumped onto his mattress. They all sat in a circle by James and Sirius's beds, talking about the party. James set out a wizard chess board between him and Lily as they began to play. Remus was laying down in between Claire's legs, leaning his head against her chest while she played with his hair.