Chapter Fourteen • Full Moons

Remus brought Sirius to the hospital wing that night for his check up.

She tried not to show it, but Claire was actually really scared. He probably already wasn't feeling good because tomorrow was a full moon. Remus told her that he never felt healthy the day before the full moon.

One night, they had been sitting in Remus's bed, talking while the other boys had detention. He described what it was like, the transformation and everything. His whole body ached and it hurt to move. He never remembered anything during the actual time where he was a werewolf, but he remembered everything before. How he got really hungry and always felt angry. At the little things too, like the way he always felt itchy while he turned, because of the hair, and how his knees buckled like an old man.

It was kind of weird to see him so vulnerable when he talked about it. Usually he hid all of his emotions inside, especially about his... condition. It didn't change how she felt about him though. He was still Remus Lupin at the end of the day, still the fifteen year old Gryffindor that brought chocolate everywhere and wore cable-knit sweaters. He was still the sweet guy that loved muggle music and cuddling under the stars, and long books, and loved when his friends told him stories.

Nothing changed.

Nothing except stargazing with Marlene on full moons. She stopped doing that after she found out about Remus. She got lots of anxiety on those nights, hoping his transformation would be better than the last one. They never were. She usually talked to Lily instead. Marlene didn't stop though, she invited Dorcas instead. Maybe Mary too.

On the night of that full moon though, Marlene asked Claire to go stargazing again. "Erm-" Claire tried to find an excuse but just couldn't. "Yeah. Sure." Marlene hugged her and ran to class gleefully, glad to bring back an old tradition. "Great," Claire said under her breath as Marlene was out of sight.

In potions, Eden came over to talk to Remus. "So, about tonight..." Claire tried to ignore their conversation but just acted like she wasn't listening instead. "I was thinking we could go by the lake to study or maybe in the library. Somewhere alone would be nice," She continued. "Oh, Eden I'm sorry but I have to cancel tonight," Remus said nervously.

"Something's come up-"

"Are you kidding me?"

"No..."

Claire didn't want to leave the conversation but she needed to ask James for some more rat tails.

"Is this because of her?" Eden asked, pointing at Claire who was talking to James now.

"What? No."

"It better not be. If you're ditching me for her, I will find out. Because I don't like to get ditched, especially when the guy is really, really cute..." she trailed off.

Peter and Marlene were overhearing their conversation now and Marlene was angry. "I got more of the rat tails..." Claire said to Remus before noticing Marlene staring Eden down. She gave a sarcastic smile at Claire before making her way back to her table. "What did I miss?" She asked, tossing in the new ingredients.

"I just cancelled our study session," Remus said, shaking away his thoughts. "Remus? Why did you have to cancel?" Marlene asked from behind. His eyes went wide and he quickly thought of an excuse. "I've got detention." Eden must've been listening still because she looked over at Remus angrily.

"Really? What did you even do?"

"Oh- I um... dungbombs by the dungeons."

Eden rolled her eyes and went back to her own potion. "Oh," Marlene said. Stirring her and Peter's potion, she decided not to think about it. Slughorn was coming around to check on everyone's potions. When he got to Eden and her friend, she leaned over to whisper something to him. Slughorn just nodded and left them.