Chapter 54: Mr. and Mrs. Watson

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

Alice stood with Sherlock behind John and Mary as they greeted the guests outside the reception venue. John and Mary greeted everyone in a similar fashion until one of Mary's friends walked up.

"David!" Mary said excitedly and she leaned in to hug him.

David backed away and clasped her hands while laughing nervously. "Mary, congratulations. John, you're a lucky man," he said as he shook John's hand.

"Did Sherlock vet all of the guests?" John whispered to Alice as Mary greeted the next guest.

"Just the ones who he saw as threats to your happiness," Alice whispered back with a polite smile. "I think he still feels bad for the two years he's been gone,"

John nodded and turned back around to the receiving line. They greeted more guests when the young pageboy ran up to Sherlock and happily wrapped his arms around him.

Sherlock looked awkwardly looked down at the young boy. "Yes, um, well done in the service, Archie,"

"He's really come out of his shell," Archie's mother said. "I don't know how you did it,"

Sherlock and Alice let out nervous chuckles, "Um,"

***FLASHBACK***

Alice had just returned from Mycroft's office to find Sherlock and Archie in a stand-off. Sherlock had been explaining the role of the pageboy to the young boy.

"No", Archie firmly stated

"You really do have to wear the outfit,"

"What for?"

Sherlock shrugged, "Grown-ups like that sort of thing,"

"Why?"

Sherlock paused for a few seconds. "I don't know. I'll ask one," Immediately, both of them turned their heads to Alice.

"It's tradition," Alice answered without missing a beat. "And it looks nice,"

Archie nodded and turned his attention back to Sherlock. "You're a detective," He said thoughtfully.

"Yep," Sherlock said, popping the 'P'.

"Have you solved any murders?"

"Sure, loads,"

"Can I see?"

Sherlock hesitated for a second before they walked over to his laptop. "Yeah, all right,"

"Don't show him anything too macabre," Alice called out as she fixed herself a cup of tea in the kitchen. "Start him off with something light then work your way up,"

"I thought you would be against this," Sherlock yelled back as Archie excitedly flipped thought the photos from previous cases and Sherlock's current research.

Alice smiled as she sat down in John's armchair. "He has a genuine interest in this, I see no problem in showing him a few photos. I just don't want to get into trouble with his mother,"

"What's all the stuff in his eye?" Archie asked curiously.

"Maggots," Sherlock answered.

"Cool,"

Sherlock smiled at the young boy in amusement.

***PRESENT DAY***

"He said that you had some pictures for him, as a treat," Archie's mother continued.

"Um, yes, if he's good," Sherlock said.

Archie, who was still hugging Sherlock, smiled. "Beheadings,"

"Lovely little village," Alice interjected as she gently pushed the young boy towards the entrance.

Inside the reception venue, the guests mingled and the photographer made his rounds with his camera. Alice was busy talking with Greg while Sherlock stood with Janine.

"He's nice," Janine said as she watched a waiter walk past.

Sherlock took a quick glance and sniffed deeply. "Traces of two leading brands of deodorant, both advertised for their strength, suggestive of a chronic body odour problem manifesting under stress,"

"Okay, done there. What about his friend?"

Sherlock turned to look where she was looking. In the kitchen, another waiter carefully pulled out the skewer from the middle of a large joint of roast beef. "Long-term relationship, compulsive cheat,"

"Seriously?"

"Waterproof cover on his smartphone. Yet his complexion doesn' indicate outdoor work; suggests he's in the habit of taking his phone into the shower with him, which means he often receives texts and emails he'd rather went unseen,"

Janine smiled. "Can I keep you?"

"Do you like solving crimes?"

"Do you have a vacancy?"

Sherlock looked over at John, who was smiling as he chatted with Alice and Mary.

John and Mary were discussing Harry with Alice when a man in a military uniform walked into the reception venue.

"Oh God, wow! He came!" John said as he walked over to the man.

"So, that's him," Sherlock said, joining Alice and Mary. "Major Sholto,"

"Uh-huh," Mary said.

Sherlock narrowed his eyes as he looked at the two men. "If they're such good friends, why does he barely even mention him?"

"He mentions him all the time to me. He never shuts up about him," Mary commented, taking a sip of wine. She made a disgusted face. "Ugh, I chose this wine. It's bloody awful,"

"I've never heard him say his name,"

"Well, he's almost a recluse. I didn't think he'd show up at all. John says he's the most unsociable man he's ever met.

"He is? He's the most unsociable?"

Mary looked at Sherlock and smiled. "Oh, Sherlock, none of us were the first,"

"I'm very glad to see you, sir," John said to his friend. "I know you don't really do this sort of thing,"

"Well, I do for old friends, Watson... John." Sholto corrected himself. "It's good to see you,"

"You too,"

"Civilian life suiting you then?"

"Er, yes well, I think so, sir," John said as he looked at Mary.

"No more need for the trick cyclist?"

"No, I go now and then. Therapy can be very helpful. Where are you living these days?"

"Oh, way out in the middle of nowhere. You wouldn't know it,"