Chapter 71: Dragon Slayer

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

"I'm glad you've given up on the Magnussen business," Mycroft said as he and Sherlock strolled outside the cottage to smoke.

"Are you?"

Mycroft gave him a subtle nod. "I am still curious, though. It's hardly your usual kind of puzzle. Why do you hate him?"

"Because he attacks people who are different and preys on their secrets," Sherlock snarled. "Why don't you hate him?"

"He's never caused too much damage to anyone important. He's far too intelligent for that. He's a businessman, that's all. And he is occasionally useful to us. A necessary evil. Not some dragon for you to slay," Mycroft took a drag from his cigarette.

"A dragon slayer. Is that what you think of me?" Sherlock said as he stood next to his brother. Both of their backs were turned to the door.

"No. It's what you think of yourself,"

"Are you two smoking?" Mrs. Holmes demanded as she opened the front door.

The two boys turned to her with their cigarettes behind their backs.

"No," Mycroft answered quickly.

"It was Mycroft," Sherlock replied at the same time.

Mrs. Holmes narrowed her eyes, not believing a word from either of her sons said and closed the door. Both men quickly took another drag.

"I have, by the way, a job offer I should like you to decline," Mycroft said as he paced.

"I decline your kind offer,"

Mycroft gave him a slight smile. "I shall pass on your regrets,"

"What was it?"

"MI6. They want to place you back into eastern Europe. An undercover assignment that will prove fatal to you in, I think about six months,"

"Then why don't you want me to take it?" Sherlock asked, unconvinced.

"It's tempting... but on balance, you have more utility closer to home,"

Sherlock scoffed. "Utility. How do I have utility,"

"Here be dragons," Mycroft took another drag. "And a princess worth protecting. Should something happen to you, I sincerely doubt that I could convince her to stay. Speaking of which, I believe our dear mother is boring her with wedding ideas right now," He paused and let out a cough. "This isn't agreeing with me. I'm going back in," He said as he stubbed his cigarette into the stone path.

"You need low tar," Sherlock taunted. "You still smoke like a beginner,"

"Also," Mycroft added as he made his way to the door. "The loss of the both of you would break my heart,"

Sherlock began to cough at his brother's words. "What the hell am I supposed to say to that?"

Mycroft turned around and held out his arms, shrugging. "Merry Christmas?"

"You hate Christmas," Sherlock remarked.

"Yes. Perhaps there was something in the punch,"

"Clearly. Go an have some more,"

"So you realize that Sherlock got us out here to see his mom and dad for a reason?" Mary asked as she and John continued to hug.

John smiled. "His lovely mom and dad. A fine example of married life. I get that,"

Over his shoulder, Mary held her fingers to her forehead.

"That is the thing with Sherlock," John continued, "it's always the unexpected,"

Mary's eye began to close and she slumped in his grasp, unconscious.

"Mary?" John asked as he lowered her down into the nearby armchair. "Mary, can you hear me?"

"Don't drink Mary's tea," Sherlock instructed as he checked on the other members of the household. "Or the punch,"

Mr. Holmes was passed out on the couch while Mrs. Holmes, Alice, and Mycroft were unconscious in the kitchen.

"Sherlock?" John asked as he followed the detective into the kitchen. "Did you just drug my pregnant wife?"

"Don't worry," Sherlock replied as he checked Alice and Mycroft's breathing. "Wiggins is an excellent chemist,"

"I calculated your wife's dose meself," Wiggins explained proudly. "Won't affect the little one. I'll keep an eye on her,"

"He'll monitor their recovery. It's more or less his day job," Sherlock informed John as he tied his scarf.

"What the hell have you done?" John asked furiously.

Sherlock looked down for a second before looking back up at his best friend. "A deal with the Devil,"

"Oh, Jesus," John muttered under his breath before going into the small sitting room.

Sherlock looked down at his unconscious fiancée. His face was full of remorse. "I'm sorry," He whispered as he tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Sherlock," John called from the sitting room. "Please tell me that you haven't just gone out of your mind,"

Sherlock turned his attention to Mycroft, who was slumped over his laptop on the table. He gently bent down and took the laptop from under his brother, placing it under his left arm. "I'd rather keep you guessing,"

John turned and looked out the window at the sound of an approaching helicopter.

Sherlock smiled and looked upwards. "Ah, there's our lift,"

The helicopter landed in the open field next to the Holmes' cottage. The two slowly made their way out the front door.

"Coming?" Sherlock asked as he led the way.

"Where?

"D'you you want your wife to be safe?"

"Ye, of course, I do," John snapped back.

"Good. Because this is going to be incredibly dangerous. One false move and we'll have betrayed the security of the United Kingdom and be imprisoned for high treason. Magnussen is quite simply the most dangerous man we've ever encountered and the odds are comprehensively stacked against us,"

"But it's Christmas," John argued disgustedly.

Sherlock smiled. "I feel the same," He turned and saw John's expression. "Oh, you mean it's actually Christmas,"

"Yep," John mumbled.

"Did you bring your gun as I suggested?"

"Why would I bring my gun to your parent's home for Christmas dinner?!"

Sherlock held out John's coat in his right hand. "Is it in your coat,"

"Yes," John replied as he took his coat from Sherlock's hand. "Where are we going?"

"Appledore,"