Chapter 72: Appledore

Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

A security guard escorted John and Sherlock through Appledore's hallways to Magnussen, who sat on a sofa in an open room. All it took was one nod from Magnussen and the three of them were left alone.

"I would offer you a drink," Magnussen said, lifting his glass. "but it's very rare and expensive,"

John blinked, confused, as Sherlock sat down on the sofa next to Magnussen. He set down Mycroft's laptop beside him.

"Oh, it was you," Sherlock calmly stated as he watched the screen in front of them play a recording of John's rescue from the bonfire.

"Yes, of course," Magnussen replied.

John turned around and watched in disbelief at the footage before him.

"Very hard to find the right pressure point for you, Mr. Holmes," Magnussen continued. "I never believed the dugs thing for a moment. Anyway, you wouldn't care if it was exposed, would you?"

Sherlock simply shrugged in acknowledgement.

"I could have gone after Alice of course. But to my surprise, she came after me. I had hoped she would be joining us this evening,"

Sherlock stiffened at the mention of Alice's name coming out of Magnussen's mouth. Alice said nothing to him about her going to Magnussen nor did he mention that he was plotting this entire trip to Appledore. We'll call it even.

Magnussen smirked at the sight of Sherlock being uncomfortable before turning his attention back to the screen in front of him. "But look at how you care about John Watson: your other damsel in distress,"

John turned back around and walked closer to the sofa. "You put me in a fire... for leverage?"

"Oh, I'd never let you burn, Doctor Watson. I had people standing by," Magnussen comforted as he placed his glass down on the table and stood up. "I'm not a murderer... unlike your wife,"

John clenched his jaw at Magnussen's taunt.

"Let me explain how leverage works, Doctor Watson," Magnussen continued, turning off the projection. "For those who understand these things, Mycroft Holmes is the most powerful man in the country. Well... apart from me,"

John cocked his head while Sherlock's mouth lifted into a small smirk.

"One of Mycroft's pressure points is his junkie detective brother, Sherlock. And one of Sherlock's pressure points is his best friend, John Watson. John Watson's pressure point is his wife. I own John Watson's wife..." Magnussen turned to Sherlock "...I own Mycroft. He's what I'm getting for Christmas. I thought I'd go through a less obvious route- make it a bit interesting,"

"It's an exchange," Sherlock corrected as he handed the laptop over. "Not a gift,"

"Forgive me, but..." Magnussen raised a brow "... I already seem to have it,"

"It's password-protected. In return for the password, you will give me any material in your possession pertaining to the woman I know as Mary Watson,"

Magnussen stroked the top of the laptop. "Oh, she's bad, that one. So many dead people. You should see what I've seen,"

"I don't need to see it," John said shortly.

"You might enjoy it," Magnussen taunted "I enjoy it,"