Chapter 7: Sibling Rivalry

AN: Transcript provided by Ariane Devere/ Callie Sullivan

***

John woke up the next morning in Sarah's flat with a sore neck. "Morning," Sarah said, walking into the living room.

"Oh," John paused, grimacing in pain "Morning,"

"See? Told you, you should've gone with the lilo."

John continued to rub his neck. "No, no, no, it's fine. I slept fine. It's very kind of you," Sarah reached for the remote and sat on the arm of the sofa, turning on the tv.

"Well, maybe next time I'll let you sleep at the end of my bed," She gave john a suggestive look before turning towards the tv.

On the television, footage of an art piece filled the screen with the headline 'The Lost Vermeer' at the bottom. "Experts are hailing it as the artistic find of the century," a newswoman read.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Sarah asked, putting the remote on the coffee table.

"Love some," John replied.

"Yeah, well you'd better make it yourself, 'cause I'm gonna have a shower," Sarah smiled to John before heading to the bathroom. John gave a slight chuckle as he buttoned his shirt.

"... Back now to our main story: There's been a massive explosion in Central London," The newswoman continued to read. John's face filled with shock as footage of Baker Street covered in rubble flashed on the screen. "As of yet, there are no reports of any casualties," John quickly got on his feet and hurried around the sofa.

"Sarah!" John called, grabbing his jacket "Sorry, I've got to run!"

***** *****

Alice sat on Sherlock and John's sofa drinking a cup of tea. In front of her sat Sherlock in his chair and Mycroft in John's. Sherlock held his violin in one hand while plucking the strings with the other. John hurried into the flat to find Sherlock behaving normally, despite the massive explosion that occurred the previous night. "John," Sherlock said calmly, looking up at his flatmate.

"I saw it on the telly, are you okay?" John asked, worried.

"Hmm, what?" Sherlock looked around the room noticing the mess made up of broken glass and scattered papers, "Oh, yeah, fine. Gas leak, apparently,"

"Are you alright?" John asked Alice.

"Oh yeah! I just hit my head in the explosion. It's just a small bruise, nothing serious. I have experienced much worse," Alice replied, trying to make light of the situation.

"Oh, good," John smiled, confused by her reaction but relieved that no one was hurt.

"I can't," Sherlock announced, staring straight at his brother.

"Can't?" Mycroft asked not believing a word his brother said.

"The stuff I've got on is just too big. I can't spare the time," Sherlock plucked another string on his violin to add emphasis.

"Nevermind your usual trivia. This is of national importance,"

"How's the diet?" Sherlock insulted.

"Fine. Perhaps you can get through to him, John, Alice," Mycroft said, turning towards the two other people in the room. "I'm afraid my brother can be very intransigent,"

"If you're so keen, why don't you investigate it?" Sherlock questioned.

"No-no-no. I can't possibly be away from the office for any length of time-not with the Korean elections-" Mycroft stopped midsentence, seeing John's surprise. Alice merely raised her eyebrows at the older Holme's statement. "Well, you don't need to know about that, do you?" Mycroft let out a chuckle to hide his threat. "Besides, a case like this requires legwork," he sneered at the last part.