Chapter 11: The God With Two Faces

Note: Transcript provided by Ariane Devere/ Callie Sullivan

***

**** SIX HOURS TO GO ****

Alice and John sat in the office of Mr.Ewart, the owner of Janus Cars. Sherlock stood next to them, staring outside at the forecourt.

"I can't see how I can help you," Mr.Ewart said, sitting at his desk.

"Mr.Monkford hired the car from you yesterday," John stated.

"Yeah, a lovely motor: Mazda RX-8. I wouldn't mind one of those myself,"

"Is that one?" Sherlock asked, pointing at a car in the forecourt.

Mr.Ewart turned his head to look at what Sherlock was pointing to and shook his head. "No, those are all Jaguars. I can see you're not a car man, eh?"

"But, surely you can afford one, a Mazda, I mean?" Alice asked. "Maybe not an RX-8 but a simple Mazda3 would surely suit your needs,"

Mr. Ewargt gave a flirtatious glance at Alice. "You know your stuff. It's a fair point. But you know how it is: it's like working in a sweetshop. Once you start picking at the licorice, when does it stop?" He started scratching the top of his left arm with his right hand. Sherlock and Alice immediately took notice.

"But you didn't know Mr.Monkford?" John questioned.

"No," Ewart stated, "He was just a client; came in here and hired one of my cars. No idea what happened to him- poor sod,"

"Nice holiday, Mr.Ewart?" Sherlock asked, standing beside Mr.Ewart, who gave him a confused look. "You've been away, haven't you?"

"Oh, no," Mr.Ewart said, pointing to his tanned face, "It's the sunbed, er, I'm afraid. To busy to go away on holiday. My wife would love it though, a bit of sun,"

"Have you got any change for the cigarette machine?" Sherlock abruptly asked.

"What?"

"I noticed one on the way in and I haven't got any change," Sherlock explained, offering Ewart a banknote. "I'm gasping,"

Mr.Ewart, confused, reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out his wallet. "No sorry,"

"Oh well, thank you very much for your time, Mr.Ewart," Sherlock said, turning to the door. "You've been very helpful. Come on, John, Alice,"

*

Sherlock sat in the lab at St. Barts, running tests on Ian Monkford's blood. Alice sat across from him, writing down her thoughts in a notebook "I'm confused at the name," Alice said, breaking the silence. "Janus Cars, why name a company after the Roman god with two faces, it makes no-" Alice's eyes widened and she stood up. "Sherlock, let me take a closer look at that blood sample, I think I know what happened,"

*** THREE HOURS TO GO ***

The trio stood with Lestrade around Monkford's car. "How much blood was on that seat?" Alice asked the detective inspector.

"About a pint,"

"Not 'about', exactly a pint- a rookie mistake if you ask me. That is definitely Ian Monkford's blood. But it's been frozen,"

"Frozen?"

"Ian Monkford donated a pint of his blood a while ago and that is what is they spread on the seats," Sherlock added.

"I'm sorry, who did?" John and Lestrade asked at the same time, not keeping up with the two geniuses.

"Janus Cars," Alice explained, "The ancient Roman god Janus, is famous for having two faces: one looking into the past and the other looking into the future. If anyone found themselves in trouble; money problems, a bad marriage, et cetera, Janus Cars will help them disappear. The company will bury their past and give them a new future, far away from the UK. Think about it: Mr. Monkford was buried deep in financial trouble and couldn't see a way out. But if he were to vanish, if the car he hired was found abandoned with his blood spatter all over the driver's seat..."

"So, where is he?" John asked, understanding Alice's explanation.

"Colombia," Sherlock answered as if it were obvious. "Mr.Ewart of Janus Cars had a twenty thousand Colombia peso note in his wallet. He told us he hadn't been abroad recently, nut when I asked him about the cars, I could see his tan line clearly. No one wears a shirt on a sunbed. That, plus his arm,"

"His arm?" Lestrade asked.

"He kept scratching it," Alice piped up "It was obviously irritating him. It was most likely a required booster jab for Hep-B. So, in all: Mr.Ewart had just arrived back in London from settling Ian Monkford into his new life in Colombia. Mrs.Monkford cashes in her 'deceased' husband's life insurance and splits the profits with Janus Cars,"

"Can I hire you?" Lestrade asked, amazed at Alice's skills.

"No, but you can- and should- arrest them," Alice said before turning to Sherlock, "You need to let the bomber know that the case is solved,"

***** *****

Alice took a sip from her coffee-filled mug. The three of them sat in at a table in a small cafe. John was busy tucking into his hot breakfast while Sherlock impatiently tapped his fingers on the table, waiting for the pink iPhone next to him to ring. "Feeling better?" she asked the boys, "You both realize that we've hardly stopped for breath since this all started,"

"Has it occurred to you-" John began to say to Sherlock

"Probably,"

"No, has it occurred to you that this bomber is playing a game with you? The envelope; breaking into Alice's flat; the dead kid's shoes; It's all meant for you,"

"Yes, I know," SHerlock smiled smugly.

"Is it him, then? Moriarty?"

"Perhaps,"

"Wait," Alice said, holding her hand up "I was never told this, who is Moriarty?"

"That's just it, we don't know who he is," John answered, taking another bite of his breakfast.

The pink phone buzzed and the three of them silently listened to the two short pips and one long tone. On the screen was a photograph of a middle-aged woman smiling. "That could be anybody," Sherlock said.

"Well lucky for you Mrs.Hudson and I watch far too much telly," John said, walking up to the counter and switching the channel on the small TV that hung in the corner. "Connie Prince,"

"Who?" Alice asked, unsure of who Connie Prince was.

John began to tell Alice about Connie Prince's career while Sherlock slipped out of the cafe to answer the pink iPhone.